4 Things You Didn’t Think To Do in Boston This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

There’s nothing like enjoying the frosty beginnings of winter among the hustle and bustle of a city during the holiday season, right? Unfortunately, some people might find the busyness of the city and the substantial flurry of activity overwhelming, often not aware of the great opportunities to celebrate this festive season! Here are a few ways to get yourself in the spirit in Boston.

1. Go To Tree Lightings

There is no shortage of tree lighting ceremonies no matter where you live! I recommend the tree lightings in big places, like the Common. However, all tree lightings are magical and fun to attend, so feel free to find any giant tree and watch it light up!

2.  Harvard Square Holiday Fairs

Every year, Harvard Square hosts big fairs on the weekends throughout December where you can pick up really cool holiday trinkets, or even a few gifts you’ve been meaning to get loved ones! The fair runs every weekend until Christmas, and is definitely worth checking out.

3. Go See a Festive Show

My mom and I went to see the Holiday Pops a couple years ago and it was one of my favorite shows I’ve ever seen. With the Pops, the Nutcracker, and Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas” all available to attend in Boston this December, you should definitely not miss these heartwarming shows.

4. Volunteer

There are so many opportunities to give back to your community around this time of year. From the well known “Toys for Tots” program to Boston’s own traditions such as “Christmas in the City”, where volunteers entertain and provide gifts for children in need, there is no shortage of places that could use help around this busy season. Nothing puts me in a more festive and cheerful mood than knowing I made a difference in someone’s life, and that I’ve made someone else’s holiday season just a little bit cheerier.

Obsessed with the Kennedy family and cheesecake, respectively.
Emerson contributor