20 Dates that are Perfect for Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

1. Go ice-skating

This date is perfect for the cold weather, since it is one of the first things people associate with winter. Whether you are good at skating or it’s your first time, this lighthearted date is perfect for you and your partner.

2. Make dinner together

Who doesn’t love food? Show off your cooking skills or let your partner show off theirs. This cute date idea will let you spend time together doing something you love, or at least making something you love to eat.  

3. Watch festive movies

‘Tis the season for watching all your favorite holiday movies, so why not do it with your partner? Make some popcorn, grab a blanket and enjoy.

4. Go to a hockey game

Whether you like sports or not, a night out at a hockey game is always fun. Stadium food and cheering fans? Yes! Channel your inner sports fan for a night and let loose.

5. Go sledding

Is it snowing outside? Do you live near a hill? Grab a sled, make your way over with your partner and enjoy all the tumbles off the sled that will make you laugh so hard your stomach hurts.

6. Take a trip to New York

New York is known for its festivities during the winter, so why not take advantage of them? Take pictures with your significant other in front of the tree at Rockefeller Center, visit Times Square or go to a show on Broadway. The possibilities are endless.

7. Have a snowball fight

What’s more fun than throwing balls of snow at your significant other? Take advantage of the weather and channel your inner child.

8. Roast marshmallows

No, it’s not a summer bonfire, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some s’mores! Cuddle up with your partner and enjoy your favorite summer snack, even though it may be below zero outside.

9. Go see a play 

Looking for a fun night out, but there are no good movies showing? Go to a live show or local performance. It’s something different than your typical movie night but still allows you to go out and enjoy time with your significant other.

10. Play board or card games

There’s nothing wrong with some friendly competition, so why not play some games with your partner? This casual setting is perfect for a fun night in.

11. Have a group night

While spending time alone with your partner is good, take the opportunity to spend time with some of your friends that are also in relationships (or maybe not). Just because it’s cold, that doesn’t mean you can’t cuddle up to your significant other while spending time with all the other people you love.

12. Visit a museum

If you’re looking for something different to do, try going to a museum.  You can admire art, sculptures, science… anything, really! And you get to spend some quality time with your significant other. What’s better than that?

13. Build a gingerbread house together

Who doesn’t love making a house out of candy? Spend some time with your partner perfectly sculpting a cute little cabin, and maybe eating some of it along the way.

14. Order in your favorite take-out and enjoy a movie

Nothing beats going to dinner and a movie with the person you love, so why not enjoy the same thing in the comfort of your own home?  

15. Binge-watch your favorite show on Netflix

Let’s face it, you were probably going to do this anyway, so why not do it with your significant other? Make some hot chocolate and cuddle up under a blanket with your partner.

16. Go for a walk

No, this is not just a summer activity; you can do it in the winter, too. Grab your hat, coat, scarf and gloves and walk around your neighborhood. You can even admire all the lights and holiday decorations that people have put up.

17. Play video games together

Again, there is nothing wrong with some friendly competition, so sit down and play your favorite games! No matter what gaming system you have, there are plenty of games you and your partner can play together.

18. Go on a scavenger hunt

What’s more fun than following clues that lead to treasure?  Make clues for your significant other to follow and lead them to a surprise at the end!

19. Attend or host a karaoke night

Who doesn’t love karaoke? Have yourselves a Troy and Gabriella moment and sing your favorite duet with your significant other! This is also a great opportunity to invite other couples over and have a fun night in.

20. Sign up for and take a class together

What’s something you’ve always wanted to take a class in? Cooking? Art? Include your significant other in something you want to do and make it  a fun experience for both of you!

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.
Emerson contributor