alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

15 Unexpected Things that will Ruin your Skin this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

1. Too much Chlorine 

Even after showers, chlorine still clings to the skin and can react with topical medicines, cleansers, and even lotions. Sudsy soap in the shower will take care of it, though. 

2. Over Exfoliating 

It’s tempting but highly damaging in the long term to buff away too much of your top layer of skin that acts as a protective barrier. Once removed, you expose your skin to toxins and sun damage. Ouch. Exfoliate 2 to 3 times a day…MAX!

3. Coffee 

Iced coffee may be your staple this summer, but think twice about your fourth cup. Coffee may wake you up and taste delicious, but it is proven to cause dry skin. Make sure you drink a glass of water for every cup of coffee to avoid this issue, especially in the summer. 

4. Popping Pimples 

No one likes giant zits on their face, but you should always fight the urge to pop them. Popping and picking can lead to scarring and can actually make it worse. Once open, the zit can get infected from bacteria on your face. Stick with zit cream and let it dry out. 

5. Long Hot Showers 

Everyone loves a nice long hot shower, but that pink tingly skin from coming out of the shower isn’t a sign of a nice productive clean. The heat from the water can cause the outer layer of your skin to peel. That’s never good. Here’s a tip: if your skin gets itchy in the shower, GET OUT! 

6. Not Cleaning Properly

There are plenty of really ineffective and sometimes harmful cleansers out there that can make things a lot worse. When purchasing a cleanser, look on the ingredients and make sure there are antioxidants and salicylic acid to keep pores clear and clean. 

7. Not Drinking Enough Water

Water is great for your body for several reasons, one of them being your skin. Water flushes toxins out of your body and prevents them from leaving the body through places like your pores. So drink up ladies! For clear skin. 

8. Talking on the Phone 

Talking on the phone isn’t “cool” anymore, but if you do decide to actually talk to someone, be aware of the oil and bacteria on the surface of your phone. This can lead to acne along the jaw line if not taken care of. 

9. Hair Products 

It’s important to keep hairspray, gel, mousse, or any other hair product off your face to prevent poresthem from clogging. Cover your face or wear a wide headband when applying these products. 

10. Sunglasses 

Sweat, dirt, and bacteria collect on the bridge of your nose with sunglasses on. Try to clean that area several times to reduce the risk of blackheads on your nose. 

11. Not Enough Exercise 

Kind of weird to think about, but yes, lack of exercise can be bad for your skin. When you start to work up a sweat, you are releasing toxins as well. It’s only bad for your skin when you do not wash your face of these toxins. That’s when you get blackheads. 

12. Too Much Air Conditioning 

Don’t turn that thermometer down too much. It may suck, but too much air conditioning can really dry out the skin. It may even lead to cracks that can allow bacteria and toxins in. 

13. Waxing too Often 

You can get that bikini wax, but make sure you don’t go back for a touch up every other week. Waxing too often makes your skin very raw and increases irritation bumps. Give your skin at least 3 weeks to regenerate, especially in sensitive areas. 

14. Not Enough Sleep

It’s not just because of bags. Lack of sleep can cause skin to look duller and makes fine lines more obvious. You want to look fresh this summer! So go to bed a little earlier. It’ll be worth it. 

15. Falling Asleep with Makeup On 

This isn’t really surprising. It seems pretty self explanatory that makeup when sleeping clogs pores, but did you know it could also be making you sick? The makeup residue left on the pillow often collects harmful bacteria that you inhale at night. So for the sake of your skin and health, just wash your face. 

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor