Workout Clothing: Brands that Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

The next time you walk around campus take a look around. I bet you more than half the girls you see will be in workout clothes. Most likely, half of those dressed for the gym won’t make it to the gym that day.

Workout clothes are the go-to outfit for us. Not only are yoga pants and tank comfortable, it also makes getting ready in the morning almost effortless.

Lululemon and Athletica have become staple names for college girls, but let’s be real, 82 dollars for workout leggings is expensive and unnecessary. Sure, you like the brand name, but what you’re really paying for is that tiny little emblem on the side of your pants that no one but you will notice.

Why not buy cheaper, still comfortable, workout clothes?

Nike, Adidas, Under Armour and New Balance are a few of the brands you’ll find stocked in Sports Authority or Dick’s Sporting Goods. Before you buy the full priced items here, try going to TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Nordstrom’s Rack. Nike, Adidas and Under Armour are just a few of several brands that are carried for discounted prices at these stores.

Gap recently came out with a workout line: Gap Fit. While tank tops with built in sports bras run around 35 dollars, and workout pants are roughly $55, this is still on the more expensive side of workout clothes. 

One of my favorite places to get workout clothes – besides TJ Maxx & Nordstrom’s Rack – is Target. Target has a great selection of active wear for prices that won’t make you cringe. Target’s C9 by Champion line charges roughly $25 for workout capris and $17 for running shorts. You could buy a whole weeks supply of workout clothes for the price of a Lululemon shirt and running shorts.

As a college student with little money but wanting to stay active, I suggest checking out a few of the places I mentioned before you order a pair of Lululemon Wunder Under Crops online.

And always remember: check the sale racks first! You never know what great steals you can find hidden on the sales racks.