What I Have Learned from My First Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Photo courtesy of: Elon University

Spring break is finally here which means it is time to go relax at the beach without a care in the world. What it also means, however, is that there are only six more weeks left in my freshman year at Elon.

Since coming here I, like everyone else, have had my fair share of ups and downs.

I have met amazing people, joined incredible organizations and had unforgettable experiences. But I have also at times felt homesick, overworked and overwhelmed.

However, being 75% done with my freshman year has taught me how to make the most of the positives, minimize the negatives and make every day, every semester, and every year, one I will never forget. 

Here are some tips for the incoming class of 2020 and for all Elon students who want to make the most out of the rest of their time here.

Make friends from all over campus.

Don’t limit yourself to your roommate, your hall mates and your sorority sisters; make friends from all over campus! Being surrounded by a large community is great. Not only is there never a shortage of people to go on lunch dates with, but it will also make you feel more connected to life here on campus.It means you will never walk to class without seeing a familiar face and you have a stronger chance of knowing people in classes you take, clubs you join and events you attend.

Leave your dorm room.

For starters, it is really unfair to your roommate if you never leave the room and give them personal time. While it is equally both of your room, everyone deserves some quiet time where they can decompress from the stress of college without other people being around.Second, you will not be able to take advantage of all the wonderful things Elon has to offer if you are always cooped up in your bed watching Netflix. A major reason why students choose to come here is because Elon has incredible opportunities, but those opportunities will only come to you if you seek them out yourself.

Take some personal time

It is so easy to forget about self-care. Elon students are always so busy and over-involved that it is easy to not pay attention to your emotions and mental well-being. Yes, going out every weekend can be fun but it is really important that you take time to take care of yourself. If that means one night you stay in, order yourself some pizza and watch a movie instead of going to a party until 3 a.m., so be it. I know there is a fear of missing out, but taking care of you is SO much more important.

Finally,

Don’t pressure yourself to be perfect.It is college; you are supposed to make mistakes! You can’t be an A student in every class, be friends with everyone and have everything go your way. Don’t strive to be perfect, just strive to be your happiest self, and then you are guaranteed to have a great time!