Transforming “School” Clothes Into Going Out Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

In a whirlwind of classes, jobs and parties, not everyone has the time or money for an extensive wardrobe with clothes for every situation. But transitioning from class during the day to going out a night doesn’t have to be so hard when you use a little imagination. Here are some tips for how to turn cute daytime outfits into a hot nighttime look:

Invest in a few staple pieces. These pieces should be simple so they can be worn with anything at any time, but still have a trendy appeal so you’ll never get sick of wearing them. Plus, they can be dressed up or dressed down, so you could even wear the item to class and then make a few adjustments for the night. Some of the most popular choices at the moment include:

• Black leggings
  • Long pendant necklaces
  • Skinny jeans
  • Simple dresses
  • Basic tank tops
  • Chic cardigans
  • Flat or heeled black boots

Have accessories on hand to dress up a basic outfit comprised of the pieces from above. These would include bold jewelry, flashy headbands, sexy heels, and the increasingly popular micro mini skirt. By making subtle changes in accessories every time you go out, you can essentially wear the same pieces over and over
again without having the exact same outfit.

Choose several pieces that have bright colors or interesting patterns. Not only will you stand out in the crowd, but you’ll also have another way to dress up an outfit without having to add accessories. Some of the best flashy pieces to invest in are bold shirts and dresses, but make sure not to go overboard and just keep everything else you wear simple.

The way you do your hair and make up is important as well, so try to find the right balance between your accessorizing and personal styling to achieve the perfect going-out look.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.