Tory Burch: Spring 2016 Collection NYFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It’s every fashionista’s favorite time of the year: New York Fashion week! American designer, Tory Burch, opened day six of the fashion shows with elegant, yet modern, designs. Her Show took place in the Lincoln Centre with Vogue editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour, as the guest of honor. Burch was asked to describe her collection in one word, to which she replied: “Contrast.”

The collection is made up of a feminine take on this season’s hottest trends, like cut-out dresses, maxi skirts, delicate stripes and statement jewelry. The primary color scheme for the show was olive, blue, white, and the must-have color of the year: orange. She kept her palettes simple and elegant while her models were styled in a natural look, with little makeup and relaxed hair.

Burch’s new line was created for every type of woman, and intended to have an international reach. When asked about her inspirations, Burch responded, “We were inspired by how beauty is enhanced through time and nature. There is an emphasis on contrast; natural fabrics paired with iridescence; neutrals with bright; simple shapes with texture and intricate embroideries.”

The shoes that were showcased had more complex designs than this line’s clothing. She described them as, “originally inspired by a slice of natural bark.” The standout heel was a gold chunk with a more Alexander McQueen look, but that was her whole purpose. She speaks about her versatility by saying, “I always am interested in throwing things off, making them a bit cheeky. I don’t know if people know that about me and my personality.”

It seems that the fave designer of American college girls is expanding her reach. Not that we have to say goodbye to our ballet flats and patent leather bags anytime soon, but she is definitely pursuing a career in couture. We can’t predict where she’s going to go next, but one thing’s for sure: Tory Burch is killing the game.

Elon University Class of 2016San Juan, Puerto Rico