Surviving Heartbreak: Best Ways To Deal With a Break Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

The (sad) truth is 95% of us have had our heartbroken at one point or another. Whether it was in your past, is happening now, or will happen one day in the future, heartbreak is the worst feeling; trust me, I know.

Let me guess- you felt like you were alone? You felt like no one understood the pain and confusion you were going through? You felt, at times, like nothing would make it better?

I promise you, time heals all wounds. Now I am not saying that you’ll ever completely let go or move on, but I am promising that every day will get a little bit better and easier.

Start focusing on yourself for a change. This is your time to be selfish and to pamper yourself.

Here are a few of my favorites ways to deal with a break up:

Get Active

Try going for a run, a long walk, or biking. Use all of the pent up negative energy or stress your feeling and put it into exercising. Working out is a great way to

Do Things You Love

Remember all of the things you used to do before you got into a relationship? Remember all the times you wanted to do something but your boyfriend/girlfriend wouldn’t do them with you? Now is the time to do those things you haven’t done in forever. Watch a romantic comedy (chick flicks and tear-jerkers).  Eat an entire carton of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream if your in the mood.

Laugh

Surround yourself with good friends and make sure you let yourself laugh. Laughing is truly the best medicine. The more you laugh, the better you feel.

Focus on the Positives & Set New Goals

Although break ups tend to bring out negative emotions, I am sure there are a thousand positive things other people could say about you. Look at all the great things you have going for you. Be proud of all of the things you’ve accomplished and set a few new goals for yourself.

Finally – I know this will sound super cheesy- but don’t for get you are special and that you should never settle for anything less than the best. Sometimes heartbreak leads to a pile-up of negative thoughts, so when hard times come, remember the great things about yourself instead. Always remember…

You are BEAUTIFUL.

You are STRONG.

You are WORTH it.