Six Tricks to Save Money in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Use your meal plan. If you have a meal plan, use it! Going out to lunch or dinner several times a week will end up costing you a lot more money then you think.

Apply for scholarships. There are tons of scholarships out there. Remember, you can’t win if you don’t apply!

Rent textbooks. We all know textbooks can be expensive. One way to avoid overspending is to rent your books. This will also save you the worry of trying to sell your textbooks back once you are done with them.

Use coupons. Many stores offer coupons that will help you save money. Also, lots of apps offer discounts that you can scan right from your phone! The Dunkin Donuts app gives you several coupons every month, such as a 99-cent large iced coffee.  Hey – every cent counts!

Make a budget. You’ve probably heard this one before, but it really does work. Allot a certain amount of money each week that you plan on spending on food, gas, social activities, etc. and then don’t go over your budget!

Student IDs! Your student ID does more than just swipe you into a building! Many stores offer discounts for students when they show their ID card. Below is a list of stores that apply. For even more, click here!

Hello! My name is Kathleen Pallotta. At Elon University, I am majoring in Strategic Communications with a minor in Professional Sales/Marketing.