ShopWell: Your Own Free Nutritionist at Your Fingertips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Coming home and reading the nutrition facts of the new food product you couldn’t wait to try only to realize the product contains way more sodium, calories or saturated fat then you had expected. Sound familiar? Even when we consciously try to make healthy food choices, it can be more complicated then we think.

Healthy eating can become much more simple and it all starts with the first step: grocery shopping. The iTunes app, ShopWell, let’s you scan the barcode of any food product imaginable while you shop. It helps to make smart purchasing decisions and control what you’re eating. Before leaving the store you know if your groceries fit your specific dietary needs.

The app has other beneficial features. It makes healthy grocery lists, provides full nutrition facts and ingredients, and it will find foods that match your specific health needs. It can also be useful for people with specific allergies.

Just counting calories and fat might sounds easy enough, but there are many additional factors in maintaining a healthy diet. ShopWell is like having your own personal nutritionist, for free!