Rachel Lewis: From HC Elon to HC Nationals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Throughout my time with Her Campus Elon, Her Campus has opened so many doors for me. From networking with industry professionals at Her Conference this past summer, to strengthening my journalistic skills writing for Elon’s chapter leading to an editorial internship, and boosting my leadership confidence as Campus Correspondent this year.

For one Elon alum, Rachel Lewis, working for Her Campus Elon led her to her job as Social Media Editor for Her Campus National.

According to Rachel, the HC Nationals staff is just as we expected–the perfect balance of laid back and fun with people who really want Her Campus to succeed and who work hard at their jobs.

One of the aspects of her job that people might not expect is how much writing actually goes into it.

“You need to know what captions people respond to, and why,” Rachel says. “Even if it’s just a couple of words, you need to know your audience and how to write for them.”

The weirdest part of her job? Creating memes. Even though Rachel is close in age to Her Campus readers, she admits it can be hard to make things that are widely relatable.

“I take random but specific stuff,” she says. “Stress is huge right now and a lot of people can relate. Once you make the first one others are easier. But some I think are hilarious others may not.”

While at Elon, Rachel wrote for Her Campus Elon starting her sophomore year before finding the LGBTQ+ section of Her Campus the fall of her senior year and applying to be a national writer.

As an English major, Rachel says Elon prepared her to create stories and use social media, and especially load up her resume with internships and juggle being so involved with being a student.

Even though Rachel works from Carrboro, she doesn’t get back to Elon all that often. But if she was back for a day, her to to-do list includes The Root, doing work in our botanical garden of a school, and that there would be so many people to catch up with and get coffee. Not hard to do with all the amazing coffee places around us!

Rachel embodies the independent and hardworking spirit of the Elon community and just goes to show how Her Campus goes far beyond just the Elon bubble!

Kayla is a senior journalism major from Boston, Massachusetts and has been with HCElon since her freshman year. At Elon, she is involved in The Edge Magazine, ENN and AOII.