The Men Behind “Recycling the Digestive System”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

“Recycling the Digestive System”-help support three of our students make it onto PBS’s Planet Forward Special

As we know, Elon prides itself on making a difference both globally and locally. Three of our students are going above and beyond, striving to make an environmental impact on a national stage on television.

Matthew Eastman (’13), Kenton Beal (’13), and Logan Hardin (’11), produced and submitted a video to planetforward.com for a final project in an upper level Communications class. The video was nominated from hundreds to compete with 14 other videos for a chance to appear on PBS.

The video, ‘Recycling the Digestive System,’ explains what is happening with the massive amount of cow manure produced in North Carolina, and how it negatively impacts the environment. The video recommends that the implementation of biodigester technology would utilize the manure North Carolina farms produce, and convert the waste into energy for heating homes.

“Recycle the Digestive Cycle” director and environmental activist Matthew Eastman said, “Working with mother nature is one of the most pure ways to live your life. How our species decided the Earth comes second to our greed’s and needs is beyond me. I would be lying if I told you I never littered or left the water running when I brushed my teeth, but I try and that’s all we can make people do. I encourage you to make a conscious effort to be a more conservative user, as well as explore new resources such as cow manure.”

Click here to watch the video and vote!

To vote you have to make a user name at planetforward.com, but it will only take a couple minutes to do so! The voting ends on February 11th. Lets show the world what our friends and Elon are capable of!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.