This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Varying from jackets to dresses, and pants to shorts, leather is the ultimate cool girl accessory in this everso rapidly cooling weather. The right leather look has the intrinsic and inimitable abilities to clad you chicly from head to toe, day or night. Trends come and go, but leather is forever. It’s a staple, and because there are so many ways to wear it, anyone can pull it off. 

“I was surprised as anyone when T-shirts, jeans and leather jackets suddenly became symbols of rebellion. In the film [The Wild One] there was a scene in which somebody asked my character, Johnny, what I was rebelling against, and I answered ‘Whaddya got?’ But none of us involved in the picture ever imagined that it would instigate or encourage youthful rebellion.” -Marlon Brando

Jet Leather Jacket ($498), usa.frenchconnection.com

Acne Studios Velocite Jacket ($2800), acnestudios.com

It doesn’t have to be Balenciaga, you don’t need to be aching for Alexander Wang and you can avoid breaking out a bargain with mom for McQueen. Leather accessories come in price ranges—the costs of great leather goods from faux to vegan to pleather and back to cow are boundless.

Speedway Leather Biker Jacket ($498), usa.frenchconnection.com

On the downside, lust worthy and luxurious leathers can eclipse a year’s tuition at Elon, but look on the brightside: big-name fashion labels usually craft their goods based on classic design inspirations like biker and moto, which you can find in any color, from Nastygal to Bloomingdale’s.

Leather Moto Jacket ($34.95), forever21.com

[ pagebreak ]

When you encounter the right leather jacket you just know—it will feel not unlike smooth butter. And when you do find “the one”, you won’t want to let it go, much less take it off.  Often expensive, but as Leandra Medine—The Man Repeller—once ever so astutely asked, “Can you really put a price tag on perfect?” I don’t think so. However, I found some killer looks that won’t butcher your bank account (and some that might make you swoon and scowl, simultaneously). 

Strapless Faux Leather Dress ($79.90), zara.com

Faux Leather Tie-Waist Shorts ($49.90), zara.com

Sweater with Faux Leather Rounded Sleeves ($39.90), zara.com

Leather Combo Cutaway Coat ($395), usa.frenchconnection.com

Bardot Leatherette Pant ($69), revolveclothing.com

Topshop Quilted Asymmetrical Faux Leather Skirt ($84), nordstrom.com

Pair your jacket with ripped jeans, then top the look off with a fur snood, black leather gloves and these Rebecca Minkoff booties…you will make this cold weather sizzle. Oh and don’t forget your oxblood lipstick. So revel in it, ladies, it’s leather weather and cow skin always is in (as is faux). As Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols notoriously wrote before his death, “Please bury me in my leather jacket, jeans and motorcycle boots.”

Rebecca Minkoff Maggie Calf Hair Wedge Bootie ($375), cusp.com

I try to be who I am and do what I do, you know what I mean? (-Jerry Garcia)