This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

With midterms in full swing, Fall Break may be all you can think about. Whether you’re looking forward to simply being home with your family and pets, visiting a friend or sibling somewhere, or going on a spontaneous trip, fall break cannot come soon enough. Although for some, the stress of your classes may be all that’s consuming your mind right now. You may not have even chosen to leave Elon for break. If that’s the case and you’re looking to explore some exciting parts of NC, Her Campus is here with some suggestions for last minute plans to spend a day, or even the weekend, adventuring outside of Elon!

Raleigh (~ 1 hour from Elon) –

• Cowfish If you’re unfamiliar with this unique restaurant, Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar offers fresh sushi, delicious burgers, and their own signature creations called “Burgushi” – a combination of both burgers and sushi. Burgushi includes sushi rolls made with burger components, which may sound like a strange combination, but they’re incredibly tasty. It’s what makes this restaurant unlike any you’ve experienced before!
  • NC State Fair – Held from October 13th-23rd, the NC State Fair is one of the most exciting attractions to visit. With different events going on every day, you’ll never have to worry about a lack of entertainment. With all of the rides, games, music, food vendors, drinks and amazing shows, this is an opportunity you can’t miss!
  • State Farmers Market – This farmers market is known as one of the best in the country. There are tons of specialty shops in the area as well as restaurants plus tons of fresh fruits, veggies, gifts and more. It’s also completely free to enter, so I’d take advantage of this if I were you!      

Charlotte (~2 hours from Elon) – 

• Fahrenheit – A fun, rooftop restaurant with a lovely view of the skyline is a favorite atmosphere of many for both brunch and dinner. Aside from the remarkable food they have to offer, they also have local draft beer, a lengthy wine list, and creative cocktails (for you 21 year olds, of course). Another restaurant that you’ll find hard to compare to those you’ve visited before!
  • Epicenter – This is a popular spot uptown with multiple floors of entertainment – food, drinks, movies, a bowling alley, even shops and boutiques! Epicenter is definitely an exciting spot if you’re looking for a night out on the town.
  • Apple Harvest Festival – For only $8 you can attend the Apple Harvest Festival in Windy Hill Orchards on October 15th. This fun fall event includes hayrides, hard and regular cider, and delicious apple doughnuts. The perfect taste of fall :)  

Asheville (~ 3 hours from Elon) – 

• The Chocolate Lab – This is a pretty new scene in town but already a favorite. They have a wide assortment of chocolate as well as a Hot Chocolate bar where you can be as imaginative as you want with your toppings. Definitely a spot to visit if you have a sweet tooth (like me).
  • The mountains are a well-known attraction here! Hiking, especially in the fall, is a common activity for people in the area. Take a day to explore the natural areas such as Crabtree Falls, Rainbow Falls, or Looking Glass Falls – if you’re looking to spend a day outdoors, these are the perfect places to do so.
  • Downtown Asheville is a great spot to hit if you’re in the mood for some shopping! There are tons of places that sell jewelry, accessories, clothing, art, and other unique handmade items that reflect the hipster vibe of this area.

These are just some of the many attractions North Carolina has to offer for some entertainment over your Fall Break. Be sure to take advantage of this beautiful state!

Photos:

https://www.1800packrat.com/~/media/packrat/images/locations/raleigh/raleigh-north-carolina-skyline.jpg

https://getoffline.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/image/picture/6440/large_1171039_1460750920824253_1265916799_n.jpg

https://www.romanticasheville.com/sites/default/files/u14/crabtree_falls2.jpg