How To: Wear Brown with Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say that you cannot wear black and brown together, I would be filthy rich. Ladies, do not be fooled by this silly myth! In fact, black and brown can look incredible and professional together if worn properly, especially during the cooler seasons! Of course, pulling off this risky style comes with its own set of rules, as well. But don’t worry, after reading this article you’ll be rocking the black and brown combo!

Black Leggings with Brown Boots

This combo is one of my personal favorites for wearing to class. This is the easiest, and comfiest way to pull off black and brown because you can really go with any shade of brown! Wearing lighter brown boots shows the contrast and adds a charismatic tone to the outfit. If you want to go with a dark espresso color, that works too since it adds a warm, chic tone! If you want to make it even more stylish, add a pair of light, neutral colored leg warmers, and a cozy oversized sweater on top! And don’t be afraid to go with boots that have a little heel to make your legs look FABULOUS!

LBD with a Brown Waist Belt

Okay ladies, this is where shade really begins to matter! When wearing a brown belt with a classic LBD, think light, and incorporate it throughout the entire outfit. Thick or thin, sandy and caramel shades work best because the contrast between black and brown adds an edgy elegance (yes, this is can be accomplished!). Wear it with heels of a matching shade AND a matching purse. Depending on the dress, you will achieve a sexy, or sophisticated look! Wear this for a night out in town, or for your next internship interview, and you’ll be sure to WOW everyone with your matching abilities!

Black Pants with a Brown Jacket

Last up, we have the most risqué of all brown-and-black combos! Channel your inner Grease! Black leather pants look edgy chic with a caramel brown sporty jacket, while black form fitting jeans can be turned into cute casual by adding a brown blazer that contains auburn undertones. Once again, it’s best to try matching your shoes to your jacket. And don’t forget to add some colorful accessories to brighten up the outfit!

So remember, black and brown can look fabulous together if worn correctly! Go light with the browns for most occasions, and don’t forget to wear it throughout the entire outfit to put it all together! Confidence is key, so make this trendy fashion statement proudly!