How to Train for a Marathon (or Half)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Lately, joggers, runners and everyone in between has been on the marathon craze. Marathons, and the training leading up to them, put you in incredible shape by conditioning your body and building amazing endurance. Preparing for a marathon event is perhaps one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences, particularly for athletes. Surprisingly enough, you can successfully train for a marathon both indoors and outdoors, and with very minimal resources.

Step 1: Register for an event.

If you’re new to running on a regular basis, pick an event that isn’t going to occur for another six months. But if you’re in pretty decent shape and run close to 3-4 times a week already, you can give yourself 12-14 weeks of training time.

Choose an event close by, or a fun activity that will motivate you each day.

Step 2: Create a training schedule.

There are thousands of wonderful websites specifically geared towards marathon training, all based on your prior running experience. Ideally, you should be running for 10-15 miles each week.

When training for a marathon, it’s all about steady pacing and gradually gaining endurance. You won’t be sprinting three miles every weekday. Instead, you’ll gradually move from 3-5 miles to 10 miles as the weeks continue in your running regimen.

Step 3: Preparation

Make sure you have a strong pair of sneakers with you to embark on this journey. Splurge for a new pair that will fit your foot and the way you run! You may also begin to invest in other items (armband for music, energy gels, socks, etc.) as your commitment strengthens.

Stay hydrated! Training for a marathon happens both before, during, and after your runs. This includes the protein in your diet as well as the amount of water you’re drinking each day. (Hint: LOTS).

Helpful Links for Half Marathons

10-Week Training

12-week Training Plan for Beginner Runners (and 16-Week, 20-Week)

Helpful Links for Full Marathons

Download Free 16-Week Training Plan (plus Runner’s World info)

20-Week Training (Peaks at about 45 miles a week)

*Runner’s World has intensive packages to help plan your marathon training – but there’s a cost!

Step 4: Commit and Don’t Quit!

Running is hard. Running many miles is even harder. It’s a mental game. However, if you push yourself through that super tough sixth mile during Week 3, your stamina will help get you through mile 9 a few weeks later. It’s all about progress, and progress takes patience and strength.

Remember why you committed to such a challenge and get excited! Race day awaits!

Rising senior at Elon University, studying International Studies and Creative Writing. Lover of ultimate frisbee, coffee and more coffee, and dancing everywhere.