This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As a collegiette – constantly absorbed in the ridiculous amount of activities we commit ourselves to – it’s tough to just press pause and have some quality “me time.” Even when I finally find myself alone, there’s an added pressure to use this time productively. Because apparently scrolling aimlessly through facebook and instagram are not considered productive activities, I’ve compiled a couple of of ways to relax and rejuvenate your mental state whenever you are lucky enough to have a bit of free time. In the early 2000s, Frankie said relax, and so the strive for relaxation continues…  

Just like “too much cake” has different meanings for different people, the art of relaxation is entirely dependent on the person doing the relaxing. In order to determine your particular relaxation style, it’s important to get in touch with your inner-self and find an activity that allows you to be truly at ease.

The problem that we, as college students, often face when it comes to being able to relax is that we cannot seem to shut our brains off – which is a key factor in relaxation. One way of eliminating the 50mph train of thought in your head is meditation. Before you pass it off as way too eat-pray-love-y for a college student, give it a chance. Even just 10 minutes of meditation per day can refresh your mind enough to feel re-energized. If pure meditation is too out-there for you, try downloading the app “Headspace” or “Simply Being” on your phone! That’s right, there are actually apps that aim to rid your mind of any and all thoughts. Sit down, close your eyes, and remain open to the possibility of meditation actually working.

www.headspace.com

Another, more technologically advanced option for blowing off steam… Netflix. It’s an oldie (kind of) but a goodie (definitely). Some people see Netflix as a distraction, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing! When used properly, a good old-fashioned Netflix binge-watch can act as an escape. Finding a new show will completely consume you. I legitimately felt personally victimized when Peyton and Lucas starting hooking up behind Brooke’s back because I was so invested in One Tree Hill. Find a show that you’re interested and invested in, and you’ll immediately forget about the struggles you’re currently facing in your Economics class.

www.pinterest.com

“Me time” is a rarity in college. Even more so at a school like Elon, where students have a tendency to take advantage of the countless organizations and opportunities available to us. If you find yourself stressing over how to utilize the time you actually have alone, then maybe it’s time to find a new relaxation method that works. Meditate, keep a journal, or find a new show to watch… Just experiment with what works best for you!

Hi! My name is Fraley Morton and I am a freshman at Elon and from Manchester, MA.