ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Practice Self Care in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

With midterms coming to a close and the end of the semester rapidly approaching, it is easy to find yourself stressed out with your hectic schedule and upcoming final projects and exams. When feeling overwhelmed it is very easy to feel as though you need to shave a few hours of sleep off your night or resort to a buttery microwaveable bag of popcorn to replace an otherwise sufficient dinner. While feeling stressed normally leads to physically making poor decisions, it also can have numerous mental consequences as well. With a few simple tips you can implement self-care into your daily college life.

1. Make it a priority to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. Although it sounds productive to stay up a few hours later to cram the last bit of information into your mind before your big exam the next day, all that will come out of it will be that you will be more tired. You will be more focused on keeping your eyes open, than the definition you’re straining to remember that you read 4 hours prior.

2. Indulge in your cravings. The average college students deprives themselves on a daily basis. Whether this is through studying, waking up early, or skipping meals, it is a common occurrence. Every so often, you must remember to treat yourself to that cup of coffee or chocolate chip cookie.

3. Incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Not only will exercise make you feel more accomplished about yourself, but it will also keep you healthy. Exercising also releases endorphins that will help to boost your mood and make you a happier person. By no means does this mean run 8 miles a day, a simple 20 minute ab workout could do the trick.

4. Remember to spend time outside. While the weather may sometimes preclude this, it is important to get fresh air and clear your mind through nature. As a college student, it is common to spend a majority of your time either in your room, the library, or in class. People tend to forget the amazing power of nature and how it can keep you focused and calmer.

5. Spend time with family and friends. If you’re having a tough time in a class or simply just having a rough day, give your mom a call. If you have been in the library all day working on a research paper, get together with friends to break up the time. These people you love will not only act as motivation, but they will help you to forget your worries and have a more positive outlook on things.

By implementing these tips, you are setting yourself up for success not only throughout your time in college, but also later in life. Similar to most things in life the hardest part is to start. Once you get going you must remember that it is necessary to practice self-care in order to be good at it.