How Pinterest-ing…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

This summer I became addicted to Pintrest. And by addicted, I mean I remembered my addiction, as living in London and actually having a life (shocking!) caused me to forget. I know I’m not the only one with this addiction and it’s resulting problem – I see all these cute ideas, repin them with grand plans for them and then promptly do nothing with them.

I decided to change that, despite the fact that I neither cook nor do artsy things by nature.

It’s actually been going fairly well, surprisingly. I’ve made several recipes and have created some fun decorations for my apartment down in Elon, including a scrapbook for my semester in Europe, something I never quite got around to doing last time I traveled there.

By actually getting my life together and doing these things, I’ve (gasp!) grown up a little. I now have confidence in my ability to cook actual food while at school, and this is coming from someone who has perfected the art of cooking stove ramen in a microwave (because boiling the water on a stove was too much effort). The other day, I defrosted a chicken, cut up zucchini and made Thai noodles – and then I made zucchini bread. By myself, with no one around to ask if I was doing it right. I’m still not sure if my parents were more impressed by my knowing how to defrost a chicken or the fact that I actually ate a vegetable willingly, but whichever it was, it was almost embarrassing how amazed they were.

They’ve been less impressed by the mess I’m currently making with some wall decorations, but I think they’re happy I’m finally using all those craft supplies we’ve bought over the years. And I’m enjoying looking at things and thinking, “I made that. All me.”

It might seem strange how accomplished I feel by doing such small things, but it’s always been the small things. And learning that I enjoy cooking right before I move into an apartment by myself – talk about great timing.

Who knew getting inspired and actually completing things can happen if you work at it? My next step: Start pinning all the workout pins and actually doing something about them. Fingers crossed I managed to keep the productive streak up!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.