This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Crop tops are bringing the ‘90s back! They’ve become a huge trend this past year, and they’re here to stay this spring and summer. While many girls second-guess whether or not they can pull this sexier look off, there’s a multitude of ways to do so in flattering many different body types! You can wear them boho, feminine, preppy, or whatever style you strut. Dress them up, dress them down, just make sure you’re dressing them to your style this year!

With a Maxi Skirt

Crop tops paired with a maxi skirt give off that fun “beachy” vibe that every non-California girl wants to pull off during her lifetime. Depending on how far down your crop top goes, high-waisted maxis usually work best, but ones that sit on your hips can be just as chic with longer crop tops. Find a maxi in a pattern that defines your style and pair it with a solid crop top and flats or wedges. It’s free and flowy, and super cute.

With High-Waisted Shorts

Crop tops with high-waisted shorts are the ultimate summer look this year. Pair a solid crop top with flirty patterned shorts for a preppy or feminine look, or find a fun patterned crop top and pair it with denim shorts that have a little fringe for a boho vibe. When it comes to crop tops and high-waisted shorts, go with flat sandals to keep the look classy and casual.

With High-Waisted Skirts

Aside from maxi skirts, crop tops can be dressed up by pairing them with high-waisted pencil skirts and skater skirts. Go for a glamorous look by pairing a black patterned crop top with a leather skirt, or for a flirty date night look by pairing a crop top with a patterned skirt. Corset crop tops add to the flirty femininity of pairing it with a skirt – try a floral pattern for the best outcome. Pair the top with a pencil skirt for a chic look. Since these skirts cover more leg, your top can be a little more risqué. Pairing the crop top with a bandage skirt is perfect for a night out because it’s sexier and daring.

With Overalls

While crop tops are making their comeback from the ‘90s, so are overalls. Overalls present the perfect opportunity to wear any patterned crop top of any size and length because it’s mostly hidden. It gives the overall look a pop of color. If you get a non-traditional pair of overalls that are patterned, go for a plain crop top and play with accessories.

With Harem Pants

Another piece of clothing making a comeback from the ‘80s and ‘90s is the harem pant. They’re loose and comfy all the way down until the ankle where it cinches in. Pairing these pants with a crop top presents the perfect opportunity to wear heels with a crop top ensemble. It’s a good alternative to the maxi skirt. Tighter crop tops work better for this look, and it’s a good chance to do lacier crop tops with pastel harem pants for a springy chic look.  

Over a Dress

This is one of my favorite looks because it works year-round. In the winter, you can throw on a crop top sweater over a dress, and in the warmer seasons, throw on a loose, flowy crop top to add a color contrast. It makes it look like an embellished maxi dress. Accessorize and throw on some gladiator sandals. While many girls try to stay clear of body-hugging body-con dresses, throwing a loose crop top over a dress can make your figure look fantastic. It’s perfect for a dressier, night-out look.

Under a Vest

Think Julianne Hough in Footloose when you pair a crop top underneath a vest. Denim or not, this look gives you more flexibility with the length of your crop because it’s slightly hidden. Pair it with colored high-waisted shorts for the best look. Wear a solid crop top that comes up higher so you can add some pizazz to it with a necklace.