Heels, Heels, Heels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Heels. They’re a girl’s best friend, her go-to accessory, and her worst nightmare. Painful, but so ridiculously beautiful that we suffer through wearing them – beauty is pain after all, right?

Speaking as a girl who is 5-foot-1 and in desperate need of some height in order to be able to speak on everyone else’s level (literally!), I love sky-high heels. The trouble is, after walking around New York City in them, as I am prone to doing, they can get a tad uncomfortable, especially if they are brand new.

I spend a lot of time in heels, so they need to be my best friend! I have tried just about every single thing to make heels more comfortable and have finally found what works for me.  So from one collegietteto another, I feel your pain, and wish to share my best advice for making those new to-die-for heels feel like your comfiest pair of sneakers.

1. When you’re buying the heels, look at the style of the shoe
The higher and skinnier the heel, the more pressure you are putting on your foot! Those gorgeous stilettos you have been eyeing for the last month will be fine for a short affair where you are sitting down most of the time, but they just won’t do when it comes to general comfort. Are those strappy sandals digging into your foot? I thought so. Avoid buying things that are overtly strappy or have too thin of a heel –  you are just asking for trouble in these shoes!

2. Wear socks!

When you first get new shoes, wear them around to break them in. Don’t do this right before you go out in them; you need time to wear them in. While you’re doing chores or just hanging around the house, wear your new shoes with a pair of socks to stretch the material so they’re a more comfortable fit with your foot!

3. Band-Aids
The worst part about new heels? Blisters! Be careful and always have some ointment and bandages around so that you can put them where your shoe is rubbing. Eventually, these will go away, but you need to build up some toughness to your heels to make them easier to wear.

4. Break Them
This sounds dangerous, but this is what dancers do in order to get their shoes to move with their foot better, and it actually does make shoes more comfortable. While you are watching TV or just relaxing, move your shoes around with your hands. Stretch the back of the heel, which can be where most of the pain is, or wherever else you think it needs to be stretched a bit to allow for a more comfortable fit. Bend it back and forth if you can.

5. Shoe Liners

My favorite method of making my shoes more comfortable is to put in liners. Though I don’t use the sole ones that Dr. Scholl’s or other brands use, I do use the back of heel liners. This is where I get the most blisters and the number one reason why I stop wearing a pair of heels. Put these in the back of your heels and you are set for the night!

Bear in mind that the heel you buy is the most critical aspect of the shoe’s comfort. Straps will hurt if you wear them for a long time and stilettos push all your weight to the front of your foot. From one shoe lover to another, I hope these tips help. Happy shopping!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.