Healthy College Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

College students are often portrayed in the media as living off of ramen noodles, eating fast food and drinking all the time.  Though this may be true at times, many of us try our best to eat healthy while at college, but this can be a difficult task, especially on a budget.  For those who don’t have a meal plan, eating healthy on a budget requires a lot of planning ahead.  The key is to buy items that can be used to make a few different meals, kind of like a staple fashion piece.  Some of the best choices at the store are usually the most obvious:

1. Chicken: Buying chicken breasts is one affordable way to make healthy meals that will last a few days.  One package of chicken can make chicken salad, grilled chicken with a variety of seasonings and even chicken to put on top of your spinach salad for lunch.

2. Brown Rice: Since it can come in a sizeable package for a low price, brown rice is a healthier choice than white rice and a perfect choice for those on a budget.  Tasty with many meals, rice can be mixed with vegetables or chicken for a healthy meal.  Adding a sauce can make the meal even tastier!

3. Salad: With the various options available to create a healthy salad, picking up a few types of vegetables along with lettuce can make a few days’ worth of salads that can be changed and varied for each meal.  It can also be made more diverse by adding protein such as chicken, shrimp, deli meats or cheese!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.