Get to Know Girl Boss Lizzy Weber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Freshman Lizzy Weber is the ultimate girl boss who does it all. From being an Adventures In Leadership facilitator to having her own radio show, she is the epitome of an involved Elon student.

Hometown: Naperville, Illinois

Year: Freshman

Potential major/minor: History, archaeology, political science majors with either adventure based learning, communications or leadership studies minors

What have you been involved in at Elon?

So far I do Adventures In Leadership (AIL), I’m a facilitator for that summer program and I did  WSOE for the first semester at Elon and then I am also in a sorority, Sigma Kappa, on campus.

Could you describe AIL?

I was a participant last year and it’s basically a program for first year students where we take them to do all sorts of different outdoors activities. We have three programs this year. The first week we’re going white water rafting and rock climbing and camping in Pisgah, the second week we’re going to do some local adventures for kids who might want to get acclimated to the Elon area and then the third week we’re going to go backpacking in Pisgah. I’m going to be a facilitator so I’ll be leading a small group of about like 8-10 kids with a co-facilitator. I’m super excited to just help the new students love Elon like I love Elon.

How has this experience impacted your life at Elon and in general?

I could literally smile just thinking about AIL. Best decision I’ve ever made, hands down. If you’re thinking about doing it just sign up, it will change your life. You will meet the most down to earth people. My best friend did this program and I met like 300 people, I’m exaggerating obviously, but you know everybody has that kind of connection where they’re like, “Oh, I know somebody who did AIL or oh, you know I did AIL.” I’ve met so many cool upperclassmen who have really supported me throughout my time here. All the memories that I made on that trip are really special to me and make me really happy. They make me smile and all those kids, I would do anything for them.  

You mentioned you had a radio show, tell me more about that.

Yes, I did. First semester I had a radio show called Live with Liz and I absolutely adored it. I got to play some cool indie pop, I love like 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s music, just really happy, upbeat tunes. I kind of made my thing that I was playing upbeat tunes for your Saturday. I would do like an hour of music, talk to people about what was going on in the Elon community, what concerts were coming to the area and just tried to make people feel better on their Saturday afternoon. It’s a great way to get to know people and to share your love of music.

You also said you’re in a sorority, are you planning on getting more involved in that or how have you been involved in it?

I want to get more involved, I really relate to the service aspect of Sigma Kappa. Our main service is helping people who have Alzheimer’s and dementia and it’s such a great program. It does impact my life personally, with one of my grandmothers. I would really like to be able to go to those assisted living community homes and help people and brighten their day. You know, even if people don’t remember things I think that it’s really cool to try to make an impact, just for one second. Just to make their day a little bit better, you know a lot of people don’t get visited when they’re in an assisted living home so I think it’s really cool that Sigma Kappa goes out there and really supports those people and their families.  

How do you hope to incorporate all of these different activities and organizations in your life in the future? Any potential careers that this would relate to?

I don’t know what I’m doing right now with my career, but with AIL I’ve been doing a lot of marketing and I’ve actually been really enjoying that. We’ll see if that’s somewhere I can go, but I’ve definitely learned a lot about leadership by becoming a facilitator. If you show people that you’re passionate and committed, you can take that with you to love what you’re doing.  

Aleeza is the secretary of the Elon University chapter of Her Campus. As secretary, she works closely with the executive staff and edits member's articles. At Elon, Aleeza is studying Strategic Communications, International and Global Studies, French and Photography.