A Freshman’s Guide to Getting Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Already bored of on-campus activities? Need a break from schoolwork? Beat the boredom and check out these cool off-campus places:

Airborne Trampoline Park

If you love to bounce around and do cool tricks on trampolines then this is the place for you! The park has a large main court where you can freely bounce from trampoline square to square, a trampoline dodge ball court, and a slam-dunk court where you can jump and shoot basketballs or go for a slam-dunk if you’re feeling frisky! The park also has a large foam pit where you can bounce and do a front flip into a sea of foam. How exhilarating does that sound? Plus it’s only $12 to jump for a whole hour! It’s a great, inexpensive place to go with friends to relieve some stress.

Address: 4215 High Point Rd, Greensboro, NC (30 minutes from Elon)

Putt-Putt

Putt-putt always seems to be a go-to on family vacations, but it can also be a great way to temporarily forget about schoolwork and relieve some stress with friends. The Putt-Putt Fun Center in Burlington strives to provide “an enjoyable experience for a reasonable cost.” You can play 18 holes for only $4. What a great deal that is perfect for college students on a budget looking to have a good time! 

Address: 1340 N Church Street Burlington, N.C. (10 minutes from Elon)

Southpoint

You may think that shopping in college consists solely of online Tobi orders and occasional care packages with one or two new shirts from home. Well let me tell you, shopping trips in college are possible! Take a day trip with friends to the Streets at Southpoint and I promise you will not be disappointed. Southpoint is an indoor/outdoor mall with a variety of stores including Urban Outfitters, Francesca’s, Free People, Lululemon, Sephora, and many more! There are also plenty of great restaurants that will beat Lakeside Dining Hall any day, like California Pizza Kitchen, Panera, Chipotle, and the Cheesecake Factory. And you absolutely cannot leave without stopping at Zinburger for a nice juicy burger and milkshake. So stop missing your weekly mall trips at home, and head on out to Southpoint for a fun trip with friends!

Address: 6910 Fayetteville Rd, Durham, N.C. (45 minutes from Elon)

Pelicans Snoballs

Craving something cold and tasty, but tired of Freshii’s froyo? Check out the new hot spot, Pelican’s Snoballs, to satisfy your sweet tooth! This place continues to grow more and more popular amongst Elon students. Not only does Pelican’s cool atmosphere attract students, but the variety and abundance of flavors does as well. You can order a classic snow cone flavor such as cherry or blue raspberry, or something more interesting such as cake batter or maui wowee. They even serve some wild flavors that you’ll for sure want to taste, such as egg custard, toothpaste, and dill pickle. It’ll definitely be an adventure for your taste buds! What’s even better is that the average snoball has only 150 calories in it so you can have a yummy, refreshing snack without all the calories of a cookout milkshake. 

Address: 1172 St Marks Church Rd. Burlington, N.C. (5 minutes from Elon)

Alamance Crossing

No car to go off-campus? No problem! Elon provides students with a bio bus service that runs to the Alamance Crossing Shopping Center. There are stores, restaurants, and even a movie theater. And don’t worry; it actually has some good stores such as Victoria’s Secret, Dillard’s, American Eagle, and LOFT. It even has a cool, affordable boutique called BohoBlu that you absolutely must check out. So go look up the bio bus schedule and make the adventure to go see the newest movie, spend the day shopping, eat some good food (because who doesn’t get sick of dining hall food?), or even all three! And don’t forget to end the trip with some good old Cold Stone ice cream; it’s simply the best.

Address: 1080 Piper Ln, Burlington, NC (7 minutes from Elon)