Finding My Happy in Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Over Christmas break my mom dragged me to yoga with her. I tried to fight her by complaining that yoga was a waste of money and I could just do a meditation app on my phone instead. However, little did I know that moment she got me out the door my life would be forever changed.

Freshman and sophomore year of college is a tough transitional time for anyone. It is a new school, new people, and new workload. The pressure to maintain a successful academic career, social life, and resume is one that can seem hard to manage. Some people cope with their stress by working out at the gym or hanging with friends, but for some reason doing both of these things never cleared the clutter in my head. I felt like I couldn’t get organized and manage the packed schedule I had built for myself. I soon discovered that stress would become toxic in my life, exhausting me and preventing me from finding happiness.

After my first yoga practice, although not too taxing or difficult, I discovered for the first time in my life what direction my life needed to go. Letting stress go and introducing yoga finally gave me the opportunity to clear my head and listen to my body. Breathing into all the stretches and showing myself I can complete difficult poses opened my eyes to see that I was stronger and more flexible than I originally assumed.

Yoga has given me a “yes” attitude, confidence, and happiness that I couldn’t find while I let life stress me out. Returning from abroad and diving headfirst back into Elon’s academic and social climate, this was just the change I needed.

Yoga has taught me to find time for myself. It has taught me about becoming a morning person. It created an eternal happiness, appreciation of life, and optimism in my daily life. I have learned the importance of resting my body instead of overworking it to the point of exhaustion. I don’t feel the need to overdrink, wear makeup, or try to be something I am not. Yoga creates self-love and self-acceptance. 

If you are hesitant about getting involved, take my story and advice into consideration and just try a class. It’s a new year and the perfect time to try new things. 

Kayla is a senior journalism major from Boston, Massachusetts and has been with HCElon since her freshman year. At Elon, she is involved in The Edge Magazine, ENN and AOII.