jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

College, an adventure of a lifetime. Those of us who are able to partake understand that college is much more than studying for finals and cramming as much coffee into our systems as possible. These skills, while not new, are coupled with adapting to living in a totally new place and managing aspects of college both academically and socially.

At Elon, first-year housing is divided into four neighborhoods: Global, Historic, Colonnades, and Danieley, each having a distinct effect on the first-year experience.

Danieley:

Centered on the east side of campus, Danieley houses mainly sophomores and first-years. The student housing is in the form of ‘flats’ accommodating between eight to ten people. Danieley also offers apartment-style living for sophomores that house four students. Due to Elon accepting more students this year, two extra people were added to some flats and placed in the coveted common room. The overall flaws of living in Danieley are the walk, and for some, the atypical first-year living experience.

The most salient features of living in this neighborhood are: free laundry, a small fitness center, more personalization of living space, due to the kitchen and common room, and of course being only a short walk away from Qdoba and Einstein Bagels. Ryan Nolan, a first-year living in Danieley, likes being able to, “get to know everyone on a more personal level” due to the laid back environment. Living with seven other guys in one flat has helped him to build strong relationships quickly.

Global:

Global houses first-years and sophomores in five buildings. Strategically centered on campus, the Global Village is only a short walk from the Belk Library and Lakeside Dining Hall. The housing consists of three different styles: pods (two rooms that share a common room), a single room, or the classic jack and jill style for four students sharing one bathroom. Alexis Malaguti, a first-year at Elon thinks this classic hall style provides “a great sense of community”. The Global Neighborhood is also home to Global Commons. Inside you’ll find Argo Tea, the Global Education Center, and the Great Hall. The Great Hall is a beautiful area to study with light jazz music and adorned with leather sofas. Back inside the residence, each hall has a common area for community events such as movie nights, birthday celebrations, and even just a space to get homework done with friends. Although laundry is not free, the newly built buildings and great location make up for the $1.25 loads.

Colonnades:

The layout of Colonnades is similar to The Global Neighborhood. Each floor has a common room, printing stations, and hall kitchens. Room styles include pods, singles, and jack and jill-style rooms. Colonnades is placed between the business school and Danieley. The horseshoe layout of the residential buildings is quite unique and creates a courtyard in the middle. On the first floor of Harper Hall is the Maker’s Hub. The Maker’s Hub is home to a few 3D printers, sewing machines, and other tools for creating. Colonnades also offers many Living Learning Communities including focuses on business, entrepreneurship, gender and sexuality, and many more.

Historic:

The Historic halls are the quintessential first-year residents living. Buildings can be coed, all female, or all male. Historic Neighborhood provides the classic first-year social living experience. In Carolina, an all-female dorm, around 125 students live together with 20 rooms on a floor, sharing two bathrooms per floor.. Historic, and most of the neighborhoods provide Living Learning Communities (LLC) to create common connections and opportunities between students. Residents in Historic love the location as it is very close to downtown Elon and many of the academic buildings. Julia Walter, now a sophomore, reflects on her experience, “It was a great way to meet people and the social climate of Carolina was very inviting and everyone was friendly. Carolina was very much a social living environment and it helped me become a more social person.”

No matter where a first-year ends up, they will have amazing experiences that will always be remembered. Depending on the specific interests or preferred living style of an individual, they may be more suited to the relaxed and quiet living style of Colonnades and Global or perhaps the more social and energetic style that Historic and Danieley offers.