Drop Everything And Read-For Fun!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As a college student, especially an Elon University student, juggling a class schedule, the social scene, extra-curriculars, community service, and mountains of work outside of the classroom as a communications major, I can’t remember the last time I had a chance to curl up with a great book and relax. When it became apparent to me that all of my friends felt the same way as I did, I decided to take it upon myself to find a solution to the problem. I decided to monitor everything I did throughout the day to see where I could find patches of time to squeeze in some reading. When I was done, I quickly realized that finding quick patches wouldn’t relax me or satisfy my bookworm itch, but cutting back on some things that took up mountains of time that weren’t necessarily important was the solution. The results:

1. Get your face OUT of Facebook

Although it’s easier said than done, cutting out Facebook, or any form of social media you’re attached to for that matter, is necessary to find time to read. If any of you are at all like me, Facebook is an outlet I use when I’m procrastinating, am bored, or, to cut to the chase…breathing. Even when I’m doing other things online, Facebook is open in a tab constantly tempting me to indulge. This was my biggest problem and since it affected my friends as well, I was prompted to create a special time for Facebook to get myself unhooked. Instead of constantly being on Facebook multiple times a day, I decided to allow myself access once in the morning and
then again before I went to sleep. This opened up HOURS of free time and I can’t stress enough how important this was to get in my valuable reading time. Lets face it (no pun intended), we are all happier unplugging ourselves from the internet and more relaxed from cutting out all of those stimulants from being on Facebook. Not only does this leave more time for reading but also more time for person-to-person interaction rather than cyber contact.    

2.  Make time for ME time

Making time for yourself with a packed schedule is hard to do especially in this day and age where everything happens so fast and efficiency is necessary to get ahead. This time however is so important not only for reading, but for your state of mind as well. Everyone needs a break from the world once and a while and doing so to curl up with your favorite book is the perfect way to do so.

So, light those peaceful smelling candles, close your door and your laptop, get under your covers and grab your favorite book. You won’t regret it and you’ll be a more focused and resourceful person for it.

Happy reading bookworms of the world!

In case you need some ideas…

Great Reads!

1.     The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins
2.     The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
3.     The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
4.     11/22/63 by Stephen King
5.     The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
Plus many more…

Find them here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Bestseller-Books/379001057/

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.