Calling All “Orange is the New Black” Obsessors!

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Have you ever wondered what actually goes on behind the cinderblock walls of Litchfield Correctional Facility? Otherwise known as the prison home to America’s favorite criminals, the cast of the hit television show “Orange is the New Black”?

Well now is your chance to find out! On September 30th at 7:30 in McCrary Theatre, Elon will be welcoming guest speaker Piper Kerman to campus, otherwise known as the real life Piper Chapman.

If you’re anything like me (and more likely than not, you are), you’ve at one point or another succumbed to the online obsession known as “Orange is the New Black”. Ever since the Netflix series online release in 2011, the show has taken the internet by storm, and has undoubtedly become one of the most-watched shows on Netflix. Currently with three online seasons streaming and a fourth on the way, “OITNB” has revolutionized the world as we know it.

The show is based on the real life experiences of Piper Kerman and is inspired by her best selling memoir “Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison”. Ever since her release in 2005, Piper has devoted her life to advocating for criminal justice and prisoner rights. She serves on the board of the Women’s Prison Association and this past year was awarded Harvard University’s 2015 Humanist Heroine of the Year Award.

Tickets for this event will be available starting Wednesday, Sept. 9th and are $13 or free with a valid Elon ID. This is a can’t miss event for any die hard “OITNB” fan, so be sure to get your tickets while they last!