A Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness: 10 Ways to Introduce Mindfulness into Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

With Midterms coming up and the pressures of everyday life in a seemingly never-ending downward spiral, it’s important to take time for yourself and decompress. Mindfulness is the mental state achieved by focusing yourself on the present moment and acknowledging all of the thoughts and feelings that you’re experiencing. Take the time to slow down and practice mindfulness; it’s easier than you think! Follow these 10 steps to start your mindfulness practice today: 

1. Take a Bath 

Just mix warm water with a bath bomb and start to feel your troubles melt away in a perfect calming atmosphere to sit back, be present and reflect on your day.

photo credit: instagram.com

2. Journal

Keeping a journal allows you to express yourself in any way that you want to, and it’s for your eyes only.

photo credit: buzzfeed.com

3. Do Something You Love

There’s nothing that keeps you more centered and happy than doing something that you love, so try and escape for a moment and do something that makes you feel genuinely fulfilled.

photo credit:www.criticalcactus.com

4. Exercise

This doesn’t have to mean fighting off crowds for an elliptical at the gym! It can include attending a yoga class, playing a sport that you enjoy with some friends, or even simply going for a walk.

photo credit: www.instagram.com

5. Spend Time With Friends

Reflection can be done in a group as well as on your own! Take a study break and go laugh with some friends.

photo credit: www.tumblr.com

6. Go Outside

After hours spent in the library, “outside” can seem like a foreign concept. Reconnecting with nature is one of the best ways to stay in touch with your thoughts/feelings.

photo credit: www.refinery29.com

7. Read

If the real world is a little too crazy to handle right now, escape into a different world for a little while by reading a good book.

photo credit: www.thrivingtwenties.tumblr.com

8. Get a Good Night’s Sleep

This is definitely easier said than done, but a solid 8 hours of deep sleep will make you feel like a new and improved person!

photo credit: www.buzzfeed.com

9. Enjoy the Moment

The very meaning of mindfulness is being present. Find something to enjoy in every moment.

photo credit: www.instagram.com

10. Be Unapologetically Yourself

Your thoughts and feelings make you completely unique! Focus on you this midterms week, and remember that the present is the only thing in your control. Make the most of it!

photo credit: www.neimanmarcus.com

I am a senior at Elon University majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in professional writing. I love writing, fashion, and London and hope to combine my passions as a career some day. When I'm not doing homework I am probably binge watching new girl or finding new gluten free recipes online.