This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Beauty trends always come and go. Think back to under eye baking, or matte lips (still relevant). In the world of beauty trends we also can’t forget about eyebrows… are thick eyebrows in right now? Or thin? I truly can’t keep up.

The trend that I have seen recently all over social media, blogs, and YouTube is dry brushing.

Dry brushing is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It is a practice where you take a dry brush and brush your skin. The brushing should be done in an upward motion to stimulate the lymphatic system and help the body detox. The brushing also can help exfoliate and get off any dry skin. Any type of exfoliating is also a great way to remove dirt and oil from your pores.

So what do you need to do?

Most importantly… you need a dry brush.  Don’t spend a lot of money on a dry brush, save money and go to Target .

Body oils can make the experience more luxurious and spa-like. A natural coconut oil is also a cheap, yet great, way to moisturize the skin.

Start at the feet and brush in upward motions. On the stomach, use circular motions. Do this before or after a shower.

So what’s my experience with dry brushing?

I’m always looking for new ways to spice up my self-care routine. I love having a nighttime routine to rely on to relax me after long and busy college days. I picked up a dry brush in the beauty aisle of a local North Carolina grocery store and tried the practice out.

So far… I really like dry brushing. I have been doing it before my showers, pretty much daily, for 3 mins or so. It is an easy and quick way to care for your own body.  It hurts a little at first, but adjusting the level of pressure used can make the experience less uncomfortable.

I now look forward to dry brushing each day, and you will too!

Brooke Galonek is studying Strategic Communications and Marketing at Elon University. She is on the Executive Team of Elon's chapter and has contributed by writing, planning events, and managing social media. Brooke is passionate about digital marketing, event planning, brand positioning, and market research. In the fall of 2019, she will be studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark.