Alexandra Kipp – Sweet Signatures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Year: Senior

Major and Minor: Strategic Communications Major and Business Adminstration Minor

Why did you join Sweet Sigs?

I auditioned for Sweet Signatures because I wanted a way to sing in college that didn’t involve my RA knocking on my door telling me to be quiet. Yes, that happened.

What is the best part of being in Sweet Sigs?

The best part of being in Sweet Signatures is that I get to do my favorite things with my favorite people. For me, it’s not just a group of girls that sing a capella together, it’s a family that I can go to for anything that I need.

What was the hardest part of making this album?

A lot of time and effort went into making this album. We had to learn every single note of each and every song, because if we didn’t the recording guy would stop us and correct us. We also recorded during grad week which meant we had to stay at Elon until the Tuesday after graduation. The recording process itself lasted four days, and we recorded from 8am to 5pm each day.

What kinda of preparation goes into making the album?

One of the biggest factors that went into this album was money. Making an album is extremely expensive, but luckily with the help of a GoFundMe page we came up with the funds to do an album. It also took a lot of preparation to get all the songs together. After the spring concert we usually have some time to relax, but last year we had to take this time to learn the songs that we didn’t sing in the spring and teach the new members songs that we decided to bring back for the album.

What is your favorite song on the album?

This is not a fair question. I have to say Neon Lights because it makes me emotional every time it plays. When we learned the song we only had a few days before the concert and the arrangement wasn’t the best, so we essentially had to start from scratch and listen to the song to get it right. We somehow managed to get it together for the concert. Also, on the album you can hear individual voices and it just gives me chills. Lucky for me, I get to sing the line “one love for each other” at the end which just adds an extra connection to the song.

Where can we buy and/or listen to the album?

You can buy the album at the campus bookstore or on iTunes!

What does the album mean to you?

The album is basically the coolest, most rewarding thing I’ve ever done. It’s something I will have forever to look back on and feel lucky to have found a group of girls that are so incredible.

What was the best part about making the album?

I think being with the Sigs nonstop during the recording was the best part. We got to create this amazing album in the studio, and just spent time hanging out, eating, watching Frozen and just bonding with each other during downtime.

When is the time we can hear you guys sing?

Our spring concert and Acappallooza next semester. Over winter term we’ll be practicing to compete in ICCAs and our next album will be coming out next year!