books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As the end of the semester nears, stress levels rise. Most of the time, stress can induce binge Netflix watching and binge ice cream eating sessions. Trust me, this rarely works. I’ve come up with a list of ways that help me de-stress during times when my mind is so full of everything I have to do, I can barely sit down and think.

1.Write it out

This might seem counterproductive, but writing down how much you’re stressed will actually make you less stressed. People are often stressed because they have many thoughts jumbled up in their heads. If you have a huge list of things you have to do, write them down. As you complete them, cross them out. This will help you feel productive and in turn, relieve stress.  

Photo by: Jessica Lewis

2. Pet animals

There’s really nothing better than petting animals when you’re stressed. Pets tend to have a positive impact on their owners’ lives, which aids in de-stressing. If you don’t have a pet of your own (which most of us in college do not, unfortunately), go to your nearest animal shelter. You can get in a few community service hours, while also de-stressing. It’s a win-win!

Photo Courtesy: Pexels

3. Talk to a friend you haven’t talked to in a while

If you’re stressed, call a friend from home and just talk to them. It doesn’t have to be about you and how much you’re stressing out. It can be about them or anything really, and it will help you get your mind off of whatever it is you’re stressed about.

Photo courtesy: Pexels

4. Find some alone time

Alone time is important in college, especially during times you’re particularly stressed. Sometimes being surrounded by people all day can make it difficult to get that alone time, but it is necessary. Even if it’s just for 30 minutes, taking time out of your day to just be by yourself is extremely important.

Photo Courtesy: Pexels

5. Don’t procrastinate

We all do it, even though it causes more stress than not. If you are stressed out about an assignment, don’t procrastinate it. At least start it, because more often than not, you’ll be more stressed out if you wait until the last minute. Pro tip: if you really don’t want to do an assignment, what better way to procrastinate than by doing a different assignment? Even though you’re procrastinating, it’s more of a productive procrastination.

Photo courtesy: Pixabay

6. Clean

Stress cleaning exists, and it actually does work. Coming home to a messy room will only increase your stress levels. The process of cleaning can also be a way to get your mind off of things. Do your laundry, put on some relaxing music and just clean. After you’re done you’ll immediately feel less stressed.

Photo Credit: Annie Spratt

7. Listen to music

Close your eyes and play your favorite Spotify playlist or search for new music. Creating a “chill” Spotify playlist may help as well, because relaxing music will help you feel relaxed, and the process of creating the playlist will help you focus on that, rather than your stress.

Photo Courtesy: Pexels

8. Color

The popularity of adult coloring books has definitely risen over the past few years, and there’s a reason for that. Not only are they fun, but they are also very relaxing, and help to reduce stress and boost mental clarity. The tedious process of coloring may cause some people more stress, but if you’re the creative type, buy yourself a coloring book.

Photo Courtesy: Pixabay

Next time you’re stressed, try doing one of these things. Not all of them will work for you, but I guarantee that at least one will.

I am a Sophomore at Elon University and from New York. I am pursuing of Bachelor of Arts Degree in Strategic Communications with minors in Psychology and Business Administration. I have passions for writing, design, fashion, food and dogs.