kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Refreshing Drinks You Must Try This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Smoothies

If you have been on Pinterest lately you know that smoothies are all the rage! Classics like Strawberry Banana and Banana Peanut Butter are always good go-tos but search Pinterest and you can find some refreshing and unique recipes like these. In a time crunch or don’t have a blender? Java City in KOBC just started serving smoothies; the Mango Guava is just what you need for an afternoon pick-me-up on a hot day!

Iced Green Tea 

One of my personal favorites, iced green tea is the perfect refreshing drink after classes or during lunch and lounging on the weekend. Panera’s iced-green tea is awesome and a classic. If you’re interested in adding a twist Starbucks has a “Shaken Green Tea Lemonade” that takes the summer classic and adds Green Tea for a surprisingly refreshing blend!

XCell Nutriton 

Xcell is a protein shake lover’s heaven! With flavors ranging from Blueberry Muffin to Chocolate Cake, plus fruity flavors, you can’t go wrong with any of the items on the menu.  They also have a tea that is more energizing than Red Bull without the over-sugary taste; these flavors are more traditional but if you want a surprising treat try the “Margarita Green Tea.”  XCell is just across from Arts West, a perfect walking distance from campus on a nice warm day and a perfect cool treat!

Dunkin Fans

For all you Dunkin fans, you have probably tried the iced coffee or the latte already, but Dunkin Donuts has an even colder drink for those days when laying in the sun has left you feeling parched. The “Coolatta” comes in several flavors including traditional coffee, mocha, caramel coffee, Vanilla Bean, Strawberry and more.  It’s the perfect frozen drink if an iced coffee just won’t cut it.

Starbucks Fans

If you don’t love coffee but want that boost of energy mid-day then Starbucks Refreshers are perfect for you.  Flavors like Berry Hibiscus and Cool Lime are perfect for summer, plus, the added Green Coffee Extract will give you a boost of energy in a natural way! They are a must try for any Starbucks fan or anyone who needs the boost without the taste of coffee.

Lemonade With a Twist

Lemonade is a great summer time drink, and lends itself great for switching it up in little ways.  Arnold Palmer, half iced tea and half lemonade, is a classic but there are plenty of recipes online for adding pizazz to the summertime classic.  Check out these recipes for summertime drinks most of which include some kind of lemonade!  

Sangria 

If you are looking for something with alcohol to sip on the porch on a nice day, white Sangria is the way to go.  We usually picture sangria being red, made with red wine, but white wine sangria is just as good and sometimes more refreshing. The Root in downtown Elon has a great sangria, both white and red – or try one of these recipes!

Good Ol’ Iced Coffee 

You can’t go wrong with an iced coffee on a warm summer day! Want to make it healthier? Use skim milk, or instead of getting a latte, which is espresso with half milk, get a regular iced coffee and add the amount of milk you want! Starbucks, Dunkin and all of the on campus locations have sugar-free syrups to add the caramel or vanilla without the sugar! While you might be working on that beach body, you don’t want to skip on your caffeine fix and these are great ways to keep it healthy.