5 Ways to Get into the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Finally, it’s starting to get colder and feel more like fall. With so much going on between school, extracurricular activities, and social life, it can be difficult to get into the spirit of the holidays and feel the excitement of the joy that is just around the corner. If you feel like it’s been especially hard to feel your usual sense of holiday excitement this year, here are a few tips to help the process.

1. Plan a Gift Swap with Friends – Whether it is with a few friends or a big group, planning a holiday gift swap is the perfect way to get into the spirit! You can set fun guidelines such as something that you make yourself, a price limit, or anything that fits into your lifestyle! No matter what the gift is, it will be a fun way to get into the giving spirit. There are even websites like elfster.com that make gift swaps with big groups a breeze!

2. Find a Way to Give Back – Going along with the spirit of giving, the holiday season is a perfect way to give back to those less fortunate. Whether you’re helping out with a local community charity or donating to a national organization, the holidays bring many opportunities to do some philanthropic work and feel good about your giving! Toys for Tots is just one of many organizations that does extremely meaningful work during the holiday season. It can be both fun and easy to give back!

3. Learn How to Cook a Fun Holiday Recipe – Even if cooking isn’t your strong suit, there are so many simple holiday recipes that will get you into the festive mood! Whether you try a full entree dish to show off to your family at Thanksgiving or just a simple holiday cookie recipe to share with your friends, now is the perfect time to whip something up!

4. Decorate – There is no better way to feel like it is the holidays than to decorate your room, apartment, or dorm! Something as simple as hanging lights will totally change the ambiance into fun and festive! There are tons of other fun little decorations, including candles and signs, to make you feel like it’s holiday time in your home!

5. Get a Red Cup – Everyone loves their coffee – that’s why there’s nothing better than the holiday season at Starbucks. With 13 new seasonal cups this year, just making a trip through the drive-thru for your peppermint mocha will bring some holiday cheer into your life!

The holidays are a time to come together with friends and family and make wonderful memories, so start getting into the spirit today!