kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tricks to Drink More Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

How many times have you heard that you need to drink more water? Probably a million.

Yes, it is very important to drink enough water during the day, and the good news is that it’s a lot easier than it sounds! Often times we find ourselves drinking only a few glasses or water bottles here and there, when in reality, we should be drinking a lot more. Since I know reaching the recommended amount seems intimidating, I’ve found a few tricks that will help you incorporate enough water into your diet!

First, let’s see how much water you need:

Tricks:

1. Add flavor – Sick of drinking the same boring water everyday?  Try adding pieces of pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, lemons, oranges, cucumbers, etc. for some extra natural flavor. Or try adding a splash of cranberry juice to sparkling water for a fruity flavored carbonated beverage.

2. Mark your water bottle – If you write time increments of when to finish a certain amount of water, you will feel obligated to complete the challenge. Doing this will also seem a lot less intimidating than thinking of having to drink 8 whole glasses of water a day.

3. Have a glass before every meal – It’s that simple! Before breakfast, lunch, and dinner, have a glass of water. This will prevent you from overeating! Plus, by doing this, you will almost be halfway done with your recommended amount of water!

4. Buy a new water bottle – Sounds silly, but trust me. Once you buy a new water bottle, you will be so excited to fill it up and drink from it all day long. Check out your college bookstore for great styles!

5. Use your phone – Since nowadays, iPhones are practically detachable from the hands of their owner, why not take advantage of them! Set an alarm on your phone every few hours to remind you to keep drinking water throughout the day.  Also try downloading an app (ex: Waterlogged) that will keep track of your water intake for you. 

Hello! My name is Kathleen Pallotta. At Elon University, I am majoring in Strategic Communications with a minor in Professional Sales/Marketing.