5 Tips for Avoiding Cracked, Dry Winter Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

We are officially making our way through the abyss of winter. With February just beginning and March still ahead, there are still a solid two months of cold to go. While dry skin isn’t inevitable during these freezing months, dry winter skin plagues all of those that don’t have a defense plan. So, below are 5 tips to fight dry skin.

1. Nivea In-Shower Lotion- This is perfect for anyone who, like me, is too cold and covered in goosebumps to apply lotion after the shower. All you do is apply it all over your body, let it sit for a few minutes, then wash it off.

Photo Credit: musingsofamuse.com

1. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion- For out of the shower moisturizing. Aveeno is my personal favorite because it’s fragrance free, heals my dry skin within a day, and isn’t too thick that it feels like I have an extra layer on my legs.

Photo Credit: Amazon.com

1. Lather Lip Conditioning Balm- It’s all natural and perfectly thick to protect lips from the cold wind. I personally love this lip balm because I’m not allergic to it and it actually works. Lather uses all natural ingredients, including beeswax, in this lip balm that help protect and hydrate lips.

Photo Credit: Lather.com

1. Water- So simple and much more effective than people think. It’s suggested to drink either about half a gallon of water a day or half of your body weight in ounces. So if you weighed 150 pounds, you would drink 75 ounces. Drinking enough water keeps the skin hydrated, digestive system running smoothly, and lips from cracking.

Photo Credit: Thefeedingdoctor.com

1. Face Moisturizer (I use Cerave Face Moisturizer)- While it is important to keep the body moisturized, you can’t ignore your face. I use face moisturizer after I wash my face in the morning and night. This keeps my face hydrated and smooth, which allows makeup to apply easier and your complexion clear.

Photo Credit: Makeup Alley

A simple sophomore pretending to still be a freshman.