neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

19 Things I’ve Learned Since Turning 19

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

I’d be lying if I told you I wasn’t incredibly weirded out by the fact that I won’t be a teenager this time next year. For some reason, the thought of turning 20-years-old makes me feel like I’ll finally feel like an adult. Who knows. While that’s highly debatable, one thing I can say for sure is that in the 19 years I’ve been around so far, I’ve had a pretty good ride, and it’s just the beginning. My 19 years have taught me a few things, good and bad. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s been beautiful. Here are 19 things that my short little life so far has taught me.

1. Family comes first. Your family is everything especially when things get hard. They’re pretty hard to get rid of, and that’s an insanely beautiful thing. Don’t take time with them for granted.

2. You’re not going to be the best at everything you do. And that’s ok.

3. Eat the piece of cake. Buy the shoes on sale. Kiss the boy. The little things matter and things that make you happy are things worth doing. It’s been said before; life’s entirely too short.

4. Some people are just straight up mean. No, they aren’t jealous, they aren’t rude, they aren’t even just a little bit bitter. They’re mean. Don’t waste your time.

5. Live for the little moments you can never seem to put into words. Hang on to them and never let them go.

6. When you spend time doing nothing, you don’t have to feel unproductive. Just feel happy that you squeezed in that extra Netflix episode or that much-needed nap. (Sometimes wasted time is overdue happy time, especially in college.)

7. Being happy really is something we really have control over. Remember that.

8. Who you surround yourself with has a really big impact on who you decide to be and what you decide to stand for. In other words, be careful who you allow to influence you and your own choices. I have been extremely lucky to find people I trust and love. Don’t let go of those people.

9. Change is hard, but change is necessary. Life is full of changes, and they don’t always come with ease. People change. Friendships change. Passions change. Goals change. Life changes. Constantly. Handle changes gracefully.  

10. Accountability is important and determines who trusts you and who doesn’t. Be accountable for your own actions, don’t blame people or experiences for things that you have control of yourself.

11. You’re going to have days here and there when you just need your Mom and Dad. You’ve spent the last few years fighting them and getting them off your case, but especially when you go off to college, you’re going to want them. You always have, sometimes you just forget. Love your parents wholeheartedly.

12. Never let people take advantage of your kindness. Notice when they do, and don’t let it happen. Not everybody is going to have your back all the time. Notice who does and who does not.

13. Start loving and respecting yourself. Never stop.

14. Know what you need when you need it. Whether that means eating when you’re hungry or dancing around your room when you need a release, do it. Listen to your body, your heart and your mind. Nobody knows you better than yourself.

15. You overthink even more than you think you do. Most of the problems you run into aren’t actual problems, they’re just scenarios you decide to create in your head. Realize what matters and focus on that.

16. Don’t hang on to friendships that do more bad than good. Some people aren’t meant to stick around. Toxic people or toxic relationships will ruin you. Let go and realize that some people just aren’t meant to be in your life, even if it hurts to remove them.

17. Stop worrying about the ‘what if’s.’ They’re pointless wastes of energy and mental space.

18. It’s so OK to be weird and goofy. Whoever disagrees simply doesn’t matter.

19. People are going to hurt you and you’re going to hurt people. You can choose to forgive them, but they may never forgive you. Learn to forgive yourself.

Charlottesville, VirginiaElon University Class of 2019