Why You Should Join the It’s On Us Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

We have a lot of clubs here at Elizabethtown College, and I for one, happen to know a lot of students who aren’t involved in a lot of them. A lot of the big clubs are well known, and have a lot of members. Her Campus is new and small, and I’m all for small clubs helping each other out. So here’s another small, new club: It’s On Us. Below is all the information you need to know about it and why you should join.

What is It’s On Us?

The It’s On Us campaign was started in 2014 by Barack Obama, Joe Biden and the Obama Administration. Their goal is to raise awareness of stopping sexual assault on college campuses, and ending violence again women. They offer resources to anyone who needs them, and you can submit nominees for people who should be recognized for contributing to the cause. As of 2018, the campaign is focusing on bystander intervention, and specifically how men can get involved in stopping sexual assault, despite the double standard their gender faces over the topic.

It’s On Us at Elizabethtown

The club was started at Elizabethtown by Hannah Burleigh, who is the president, in order to bring this cause to campus. The club hosts events like Treat Yo Self Saturday, organizes raffles and games for free t-shirts, and arranges volunteering opportunities. The aim of It’s On Us at E-town is to educate students all over campus about the issues of sexual assault at college, how to recognize it, where to go and how to act if you’re involved. They hope to make E-town an even safer space for all students on campus by teaching everyone this.

Why is it here?

Sexual assault is very common on college campuses, and even though we’re a small campus in a rural area, we are still susceptible to the statistics. It’s important for students, professors, visitors and friends of all genders, ages to be able to help victims of sexual assault by recognizing signs and knowing what resources are open to them. Students don’t have to join the club to be involved in the cause. Instead, they can learn these important lessons and pass them on to others in order to make campus a safer place.

How you can get involved

Joining the club is not the only way you can support this cause. You can sign a pledge to vouch that you will always intervene in a sexual assault situation to help the victim. The issues the club stands for are important, so talk about them with others. Free flyers and handouts are given out at each event that you can make use of in any way you see fit. The club often collects donations for the YMCA in Lancaster, like hygiene products, or collect money for the club funds to run more events.

Why you should join

It’s On Us is always accepting members, and anyone who is a forward-thinking person looking to help women should absolutely be involved in this cause. Joining the club means that you could get your opinions out. During meetings, members of the club collect articles about sexual assault and discuss them in an open and safe space. You can also sign up for events, and the activities that interest you and you think would benefit the club can put put into action.

Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.