nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to get ready for the end of the semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

The semester is rolling to an end and it’s time to start to preparing yourself for finals. Here are some tips and tricks to keep your final marks on par!

1. Go to any and all review sessions offered

If your professors are willing to give you review sessions, you should take advantage of them! Some professors will make these the week before finals in-class, while others may offer time outside of class for reviewing the course material. Either way, you should go. This is a great opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the material or the actual final exam. Attending these sessions will be beneficial to you and demonstrate to your professors that you care about your grades.

2. Look over your notes

If your professors advised you to mark certain material as important, make sure that you look over it. There is probably a reason you should “star” it (hint: it may appear on you final!) Looking over your notes will refresh your memory. It will remind you of what information you need to spend more time on preparing for the exam.

3. Make flashcards

This is an easy trick I’ve learned over the years. Studies say that rewriting information will help you remember the information better. Flash cards are an inexpensive way to help you study. The are small, making them portable. You can take them to the gym, in the car, on a walk or essentially really. You can mark your flashcards according to class. You can make piles of cards that you know and don’t know. Flashcards are quick way to review information. You can spend as much or as little time studying. You can take them with you everywhere and study a few while you’re waiting.

4. Study a little bit of each subject everyday

This is a beneficial way for you to better remember each class. Consistently reviewing the material in small chunks is better for you than trying to retain large amounts of information at a time. Take breaks between each subject. Just stand up and walk around for a little bit, listen to some music or meet up to eat with your friends. Then, go back and review the information you studied before you took a break. Do not spend all your time preparing for one exam. This may be tempting depending on the course, but it is better to study for all of them!

5. Group study sessions

Depending on the type of class, it may be helpful to study in small groups. When I say “small” I mean 1-3 other people. Larger than that tends to lead to be problematic because there are too many people with differing ideas. Group work is great, but when you are on a constrained time limit, this can just lead to chaos and frustration. Avoid this by studying in small groups. Go into the session having an idea about WHAT you material you plan to cover. Make sure that you and your group members are on the same page about the material. You don’t want to spend all your time going over things you already have mastered. Hope group sessions go well.

6. Trust Yourself

When it is time to take your exam, take a deep breath and just let your pencil do the talking. You know your material. Trust yourself. When you are stuck between two answers, trust your gut instinct.

Best of luck on your final exams! Prepare for them as best as you can. Take care of yourself beforehand. Make sure that you take time to relax, eat healthy and all the other good things in life that make you feel happy! You can do this.

Brianna XXX.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.