pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

E-town traditions to experience before you graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

It’s April, and while we’ve still got mounds of snow decorating our campus, students are already thinking about soaking up the summer sun. Of course, the end of the spring semester brings an event equally full of celebration and stress—graduation.

First-year and sophomore students may not be too concerned about graduating just yet. Maybe some juniors aren’t worried, either. But it’s important for all of us to keep in mind that our time here, however long the days may seem, is limited. Throughout your years here, make sure to attend these events that are as integral to the college experience as going to class.

Mr. E-town

Once a year, students cram into Leffler Chapel to watch the College’s finest men gyrate and lip-sync their way to the beloved title of Mr. E-town. If you haven’t been to this event, you’re really missing out. Not only is it a night full of laughs, but it’s a night full of insane talent as well. Seriously, some of these guys are almost supernaturally good at dancing. If you’re not free the night of Mr. E-town, you’d better clear your schedule stat.

Emotion

Emotion is E-town’s largest group, and it’s dedicated to the art of dance. Each semester, the Emotion Showcase demonstrates the hard work and talent of our very own Blue Jays. Dances range from beginner to intermediate to advanced and encompass styles such as ballet, jazz, contemporary and tap. There’s a dance out there for everyone, so why not take the stage and dance like there’s no tomorrow?

Bingo Night

Screaming. Stress. Scintillating prizes. It’s bingo night, baby. I’m a bit biased here, because bingo is my all-time favorite event at E-town. People from all corners of campus come out to the KAV to win prizes at the semester-ly bingo night. Top prizes from previous semesters included an iPhone X preorder and Harry Styles concert tickets, so you know you’re in for some sweet, sweet goods. And what’s more fun than a little schadenfreude when someone gets bingo while thirty other people were just one square away?

Thanksgiving Dinner + Tree Lighting

There’s nothing quite like a good meal to bring people together. E-town’s annual Thanksgiving dinner and tree lighting ceremony are sure to warm your heart on a cold, cold November night. Faculty and staff cater to your every whim (at least, refilling water and dishing out turkey), while a professional photographer can snap fun pictures of you and your friends. Just don’t eat too much, because the tree lighting immediately after offers fresh-baked cookies and hot chocolate. Stick around long enough, and you’ll get to hear the College president read a Christmas story. Also, Santa rolls up in a golf cart, which is pretty cool.

The Marshmallow Game

We love our athletic teams here at E-town, but sometimes there’s nothing more invigorating than watching them get pelted with marshmallows. The Marshmallow Game pits our men’s soccer team against Messiah College in a battle of goals and sugary sweets. Don’t worry about bringing your own marshmallows to throw at the competitor’s fans or the competitors themselves—there are plenty to go around.

Relay for Life

Good causes make for great memories, and Relay for Life at E-town is no exception. You’ve probably seen one or two of my articles about Relay for Life, an annual event hosted by our Colleges Against Cancer club. If you haven’t, here’s a quick rundown: students, community members and faculty members come together between 3 p.m. and 3 a.m. to raise funds for the American Cancer Society. Fundraising at the event is done by purchasing tickets to do activities hosted by campus clubs and organizations, such as making cupcakes or playing video games. The night is full of performances by our own acapella and dance groups, and you can even pay a ticket to pie a professor or put a friend in five-minute jail. It’s a memorable night that you’re sure to enjoy.  

Of course, this list just has a small number of events that I personally feel define the E-town experience. Still, with over 70 clubs and organizations on campus, it’s hard to list just everything (especially when I’ve got to adhere to a word count). So, what are some of your favorite traditions and events? Anything that you think students should try? Leave those in the comments below!

Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.