This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

It’s really helpful to have volunteering and community work on your resume, and it’s also really important to help others. But maybe you aren’t sure where to start or who to go to, so begin to look at clubs here on campus. Certain clubs exist just for volunteering and getting involved, and it’s easy to help a group of people get organized and get involved together instead of independently. So here’s a list of clubs to look into, and where they focus their involvement.

1. Education Organization

Geared towards education majors, but they always appreciate extra help from others. EdOrg is one of the most involved clubs I know. They are always grouping up and heading out into areas off campus, as well as participating and hosting events on campus. Popular ones are the Ronald McDonald House, Relay for Life, Into the Campus, the A-T Benefit, and schools around the area. They often partner with other clubs, and recording hours is a required aspect of being a member.

2. Donate Life

Dedicated to spreading awareness for the need of organ donors, Donate Life acts as a college representative when speaking about organ donation. Whether it’s giving talks at locations, or providing resources to people on and off campus, Donate Life puts all they have into this cause. Traveling to the Gift of Life Leadership Summit and partnering with companies like Chipotle are just a few ways they get involved, with a fun twist.

3. Best Buddies

Any year and any major can join, and joining means you get to meet the buddies. The goal of the club is to reach out to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in order to create a positive environment to help the community and raise funds. Hosting meets for the special olympics, partnering with restaurants to collect money, attending church and community events, and throwing parties for each holiday. The group is meant to support one another, and it’s a great way to get involved and help others.

4. Council for Exceptional Children

CEC isn’t just for education majors, and it’s an alike concept to Best Buddies, but for children. E-town students host events and travel to schools to get involved with students in special education programs. Bake sales, arts and crafts, scavenger hunts, and celebrating holidays are just some of the ways to get involved. Overall, it helps connect college students with younger children through really fun activities.

5. Habitat for Humanity

Underneath the Lancaster-Lebanon chapter of Habitat for Humanity, the group sends students out to assist in building houses. Based on the local area, they focus on Central Pennsylvania to build homes. It’s a great cause for anyone who wants to be hands-on and traveling to get work done. They work with passion, and the hope to advocate for Habitat as a global organization.

6. It’s On Us

Dedicated to raising awareness of sexual assault on college campuses, It’s On Us E-town brings the national organization to this campus. Fun activities are run year-round, like movie-showing, Treat Yourself Saturdays, and hosting discussions about current topics related to the club in a safe space. When they’re not running events on campus, students are encouraged to engage themselves in volunteering opportunities in the PA area, and many of the proceeds for the club support foundations like the Lancaster YWCA.

7. Circle K

Their goal at Circle K is to encourage fellowship and service in the community, so they don’t hold back on service projects. Aimed to assist the elderly, children, vets, the sick and injured, and animals, they leave no one out. Their events are ones you’ve never heard of too, like discussions in Folklore, making diy cat toys, making cards for patients in the hospital, and running events for holidays, schools, and other foundations.

Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.