Career

6 Ways to Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Social media is becoming an increasingly significant part of the job application process. Hiring managers and recruiters are taking notes on social media pages as they examine potential job candidates. By now, you’ve probably learned to control privacy settings, monitor written posts and delete questionable photos, but these minor changes are no longer enough. As job markets become more competitive and the number of job applicants increases, it is becoming much harder to stand out as an exceptional individual.

LinkedIn is a sophisticated social media platform that is very popular among professionals. It allows users to customize the way professional information is presented while connecting with others. There are millions of users on LinkedIn, and finding ways to compete with these other individuals can be difficult. Here are a few simple ways to modify your LinkedIn profile to keep up with the standards set by professionals and enhance features to rise above other candidates.

1. Keep Your Profile Photo Fresh

Profile pictures appear at the top of each LinkedIn page, serving as the main visual on each page. Because of this, your profile photo is one of the first things other users will notice. It is essential that your profile photo is current and professional (business apparel and a blank background in the photo are standard). If an interview is arranged, it is important that your profile photo matches your current appearance, so the interviewer is not surprised.

2. Update Your Page

Just like your profile photo, your content should also be current. New positions should be added in a timely fashion, and the dates of previous positions should be revised. This also includes volunteer and other organizational positions aside from the main source of employment. Everything should be listed on the page to showcase the many facets that contribute to professional credibility.

3. Pay Close Attention to Your Headline

Your headline is located beneath your profile photo, and it typically includes your most current job position. This can be customized to capture the attention of other users. A personalized headline will be ingrained in the brains of hiring managers.

4. Take Advantage of Tools & Features

Joining groups like the college or university alumni group is a very useful LinkedIn feature. Not only can potential job positions and employers in various geographic locations be explored, but the group can also be used as a powerful networking tool. While scanning through job applicants, the recruiter’s alma mater is sure to stand out on the page.

5. Make it Visually Appealing

When selecting job candidates, personal fit is often just as important as skills and experiences. Your profile page should capture your personality in order for recruiters to determine how candidates will fit into their organizations. Many users neglect to add a background photo (located near the profile photo). This photo should still be professional, but it can also be used to capture the personality.

External links and additional photos can bring life to a page. Adding links to a personal website or an online portfolio will help make the profile stand out from a visual standpoint. These links can be included in the descriptions of relevant experiences.

6. Don’t Overwhelm Potential Employers

Including detailed descriptions of positions and activities is important, and a LinkedIn page allows for more space than most resumes. That being said, it is important to keep descriptions limited, so that other users do not feel overwhelmed by a page full of text that requires a tedious amount of scrolling.

A LinkedIn profile is just one portion of the job application process, and it may not guarantee the achievement of a new position. Nevertheless, keeping these techniques in mind will demonstrate effort and conscientiousness through the online professional network.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.