5 Responsibilities That Can Interfere with Classes If You Don’t Plan Ahead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

When preparing for the upcoming semester, the focus is always on the clothing, chargers and snacks you have to pack, and the necessities you might forget. It’s easy to look past the obligations that actually require you to be at home. Remember these important responsibilities, so you can plan accordingly before heading off to campus.

1. Car Inspection & Maintenance

If you’re bringing a car to college, make sure it’s meeting safety standards before you set off for campus. Car upkeep is a source of anxiety that can be reduced if you take care of it while at home. In the month leading up to my first day of classes, I always check with my mom to ensure that my car is ready to go. I schedule an inspection and an oil change, and I check my tires and windshield wipers. Many automotive businesses will actually order inspection stickers a couple months in advance, so even if your inspection date isn’t until October, you could get the sticker in August. If you have an inspection date in winter or spring months, make a plan to get your car inspected during another college break.

2. Medical Check-Ups

Make a plan for your dentist, dermatologist, and other check-ups. Most people go to the dentist every six months, so try making appointments over summer and winter breaks. You can also find a medical facility near your college. Before you visit a new doctor, make sure you call ahead to see if your insurance is accepted. If you opted for college-provided insurance, they should have doctor offices nearby.

3. Prescription Refills

You definitely don’t want to run out of your prescription while miles away from home. Getting your prescription filled three months in advance can help alleviate the stress. You can also choose to have your prescription filled at a location near your college. Typically, colleges list local health organizations on their website that could be of interest to you. If you need to make an appointment to renew your prescription, try to make it over winter or summer break.

4. Hair Appointments

If you’re attached to your hair stylist, you’re not alone. It’s normal to have a favorite hairstylist, and it can be difficult to get used to the idea of getting your hair cut by someone new. That being said, college is full of new experiences. Why not try out a new stylist and let them get creative? If you’re really anxious about trying out a new salon, stick with your hairdresser from home but consider a new cut or color.

5. Driver’s License Photo Retakes

It’s easy to lose track of when it’s time to get your license photo retaken. The expiration date is, of course, found on your driver’s license, but you do not have to wait until that date to head over to the DMV. The DMV typically sends out your renewal information a few months prior to the deadline, but be sure to check the regulations in your state. After receiving your renewal information in the mail, you can get your photo retaken when it’s convenient.

When you go away to college, you’ll be forced to become more independent. Making a plan to take care of these tasks in advance can alleviate stress later. Although some responsibilities must be taken care of at home, there are also plenty of opportunities to explore your surroundings and take care of your personal obligations close to campus.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.