5 Up-and-Coming Shows You Need to Start Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Everyone loves to sit down after a long day, put their feet up, and turn on their favorite show. With fall, comes the premieres of new shows and new seasons. If you need a new show to help you escape from all your stress, here are five suggestions:

The show for anyone who loves lots of drama and mystery….

Riverdale is full of high school drama, crime, love triangles and secrecy. Though this show has already had a season that premiered last year, this is a great series to start watching as season 2 premiered on October 11th. The show Riverdale is based off a popular comic called Archie, but the CW brought this eerie storyline to TV.  Almost like the Breakfast Club, a group of dynamic high schoolers try to solve the mystery of a murder. It is a small town on the East Coast, and there are a lot of secrets. The question is which ones will come to the surface?

If you like Riverdale, you’ll love Pretty Little Liars and 90210.

Love drama, glamour and family rivalry? This new hit series is for you…

Dynasty originally was a popular soap opera in the 80’s but has been remade into a modern-day masterpiece. This show is strictly all about the drama, and it is fabulous. The premise is a rivalry between two families from Atlanta over money and power. With so many strong characters, there is a lot of competition for control over fortune and status. Besides the crazy amount of drama, the fashion in this show is to die for. Who will end up on top with fortune and power?

If you like Dynasty, you’ll love Empire and Gossip Girl.

Don’t want to go to medical school, but love watching medical shows?

The Good Doctor is for you! It is not your regular old Grey’s Anatomy where drama and love are the main story lines, but there are plenty of attractive doctors. The show shines light on one man in particular. The main character is a brilliant, young surgeon with Autism and many barriers to overcome. Some of the staff are supportive and encouraging, while others are doubtful and ignorant. Can he soar above the pressure and prejudices against him?

If you like, The Good Doctor, you’ll love Grey’s Anatomy and Chicago Med.

Want a feel-good comedy?

The Mayor is the best rated comedy of the fall season. A young rapper runs for mayor as a publicity stunt to round up attention for his new mixtape, and he ends up winning! He has a whole team of people including his mom, friends and chief-of-staff to help him out. With a fresh perspective and new style, will he rise to the task to make a difference in his small California town?

If you like The Mayor, you’ll love Parks and Recreation and Superstore.

Enjoy being scared and love suspense?

The new season of American Horror Story: Cult is for you! Many have probably seen the disturbing brilliance of Ryan Murphy in past seasons, but this season is set in modern day time, as it relates to 2016 election. Shocking news of the election sets off the people of fictional town of Brookfield Heights. Phobias take over people’s minds and, with the troubled times, many join a cult. What will the fears of all of these tormented people lead them to do? If you have the courage to watch, you will just have to wait and see.

If you like American Horror Story: Cult, you’ll love Scream and Scream Queens.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.