3 Things to Keep in Mind as You Head Back from Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

So it looks like it’s the end of winter break, which means we return to our occupation as full-time students and a (hopefully) full-time effort to improve ourselves academically as well as personally. It is 2018, a new year, a new semester and a chance to begin anew, well sort of! While reminiscing, or perhaps regretting, some of our past choices, we have the opportunity to build our inner selves to be more confident, more vibrant and more successful. Here’s some tips that I hope will help you achieve this. Happy New Years, loves. :)

1. Remember who you are and who you aspire to be.

This is a fairly obvious statement, but using it as your inner fuel can be incredibly beneficial. Having lived on this earth for approximately 18 to 22 years, you’ve experienced happiness, sorrow, love, achievements, worries, anger and self-value just to name a few things. Using these thoughts and triumphs in addition to your not so fond memories can encourage you to be the person you want to be. Use your uniqueness to do so. Take some time to reflect on yourself, what do you like about yourself? What makes you feel strong? Think also about the things you would like to change. How can I better deal with stress? Or maybe, what can you change about your daily routine that will enable you to more fully live your day? Make a list! Yes, you may be rolling your eyes right now, but, trust me, it does work. Making a list allows you to visually see what you need to accomplish during the day. Being able to check things off as you have completed them provides a sense of productivity and satisfaction. If this isn’t your style, try to leave some time during the day where you turn off all electronics; while they are helpful to everyday life, they can become distracting. Just thinking encourages your brain to make connections, enhancing your intellectuality. So think, just for fun. Or, go for a nice, warm shower; that always feels great, especially after a long day of hitting the books.

2. Use a calendar.

Using a calendar helps us lay out everything we need to do and where we have to be on any given day. Writing things down enhances our likelihood of remembering these events or obligations. Plus, it provides you with an easy self-reminder! Have some fun with your calendar, pick out a favorite pop-culture singer, artist or celebrity. You can pick one of a foreign country, your favorite animal or basically any kind of person, place or thing you like. Get creative and decorate your calendar. Add some sparkle, glam, doodles or full-blown museum-worthy pictures. Whatever suits your style, just do not forget to change the page monthly!

3. Keep yourself around people that encourage you to be your best.

I cannot emphasize this enough ladies, don’t be besties with people who don’t let you sparkle! By all means, be kind to everyone. But, you do not have to spend ample time with individuals who put you down, make you upset, or just aren’t kind-hearted friends. It’s a new year, it is time to focus on Y-O-U. Put yourself first, and surround yourself only with those who make you love life, laugh until your sides hurt and allow you to confide in them. If you have that in life, you’ve truly found happiness, inside your friends. Those people are the gems of the world. Find them, and never let them go.

Have a wonderful semester beautiful women. Let’s make this year be about you and your success story.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.