Why the Message Behind the Greatest Showman Is Right on Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

If you have not seen it yet, The Greatest Showman is a movie musical that just came out in December of 2017. Even if you don’t usually watch musicals, even if you aren’t interested in performing arts, PLEASE go watch this musical. It is an amazing story about doing what you love instead of what is the status quo, about how important trust and family are, and equality for those who are not “normal”.

Not to give away the plot line, but Hugh Jackman’s character Pt Barnum brings people who are usually laughed at and ridiculed into the spotlight. He gives them hope and courage to face the people who have made them feel like fools; he helps them become proud of themselves through performing with the circus. From that encouragement and success of the circus comes the song “This Is Me”. It is all about not listening to those who hold you back and being afraid of your differences, but embracing them as amazing qualities that you should be proud of.

The timing of this insanely positive message could not be timed better. With the sexual assault charges that have been taking over the news, and the increased tension within the United States at the moment has divided a nation that’s goal is to let everyone be themselves without punishment.

I know all society tells you to do is fit into the mold that they have created for you. I know the news is degrading women for reporting the sexual assault they have experienced. I know the government is telling you that some lives are more important than others.

But do not listen.

Stand up for you. Stand proud of yourself, flaws and all. Be a warrior. Perfection is an impossible idea that everyone will always be striving for yet will never achieve. Do not listen to all the negativity that is pushed your way. Allow yourself to show your bruises. It shows that what you’ve gone through and that you were strong enough to make it out alive. Allow yourself to acknowledge your differences from other people. Can you imagine how boring of a world we would have if everyone was exactly the same? Does anyone get inspired to do amazing things from an easy life with no struggle? No, the inspiring stories are always the ones who fought their way from the bottom and succeeded while remaining true to themselves.

Make no apologies. Not now, not ever.

Be proud to say “This is me”

Hi! I'm Rachel, a freshman intended nursing major at ECU! Am I the most elequent speaker? Not really. Do I have my life together at all times? Aboslutely not. But in my 18 years on this planet, I have figured out a couple things. Hopefully I can make your day a little bit brighter after reading my stuff!