This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, stress is in the air. Christmas presents to buy, family to visit, and before we can even think about those things we have finals that determine majority of our grade. The thought can be overwhelming, but push through. I promise it will be worth it in the end. Because at then end of the day, even if you fail a test or even failed a class, or didn’t get the grade you want you are learning something through the process. Often times its not about our success but what we learned through the process that develops us into the people we will become. So here is my advice on pushing through the stress of exams. Good  luck guys!

1.) Don’t Procrastinate 

Waiting until the last minute is only going to stress you out more. All the sudden you have a crazy amount of work to do in a small amount of time. Take it slow. Begin studying weeks before your exam so when the night before the test comes you will be prepared and ready to do a quick review before getting a good night sleep.

2.) Coffee 

Finals week is a busy time for college students. Christmas break is around the corner. We have so many presents to wrap, clothes to pack, and gifts to buy. When you have a busy day and tons of studying let to do, coffee is the best way to keep going. Just a little caffeine boost is all I need to get through the rest of my day.

3.) Study in a Group 

Explaining concepts to others always helps me understand the material better. It helps me realize what I truly don’t know. I always can if I can explain it I need to study it more until I can. Also if there are concepts or topics you don’t understand odds are someone else in the group probably does understand it and can explain it to you. The only thing to be wary of is distractions. This is not the time to talk about the party last weekend. That can wait until after your exam is over.

4.) Take Breaks 

Take a quick 15 minute break and watch funny cat videos on YouTube, or watch an episode of the Office. Whatever you do to take a break completely take your mind off of whatever you are studying. That way in 15 minutes or so you will be totally ready to continue to tackle that chemistry material.

5.) Stress Release 

Go get yourself some endorphins (happy hormones) by running, lifting weights, zumba, or any other way you like to work out. It is the best way to release stress in a positive way. Avoid the tempting unhealthy ways of relieving stress such as stress eating, venting,

6.) Get ZZZZs 

You are already trying to cram as much information in before the test. When you are sleepy your cognitive function is not as efficient. Getting sleep will definitely help you concentrate better while taking the exam.

7.) Eat Brain Food 

Eating junk food, while a common behavior in college, can make you feel sluggish.  Foods like whole grains, fruits( especially blueberries, and vegetables will give you more energy. Your mind will need all the energy it can get these next few days.

8.) Be prepared for exam day 

Have a list of every thing you need. Bubble sheet, check. Pencil, check. Calculator, check. Caffeine, check. When you write every thing you need down that morning you will surely not forget something important. You want to get as much sleep as possible so odds are you will not have a lot of time in the morning if your have an early exam. You defiantly would not want to walk into class without a bubble sheet and pencil and have to walk all the way to the student store to buy one.

9.) Set an Alarm Clock 

Waking up late would be the worst possible. Set a loud alarm clock, and apologize to your roommate. If you are still scared you won’t wake up in time ask around see if anyone else in your dorm has to be awake at the same time. If so maybe they could knock on your door and make sure you are awake.

10.) Kill it 

I have a before exam song. It is Holiday by Green Day, which is a punk rock song that makes me feel like a bad a**. (excuse my language but there seemed no other word for it) Every time I listen to it I feel like I can do anything. Find the song that empowers you and makes you feel like you can conquer the world. Wake up that morning pumped that you are going to rock your exam like I know you will.

Inspiring others to be MORE by living life with enthusiasm, seeing the beauty in simplicity, and adopting a generosity of spirit. My goal is that other college students and people who have a longing for a deeper meaning to their life will be inspired to become all they want to be through the lessormorgan movement. Hi, My name is Morgan Murray. My biggest aspiration is to become an inspirational speaker. I am a communciations major and Leadership minor at ECU. I love Chipotle, my fish Enrique, hiking, photography, writing, speaking, yoga, singing, and running.