My problem(s) with President Trump and his America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

I’m a straight, cis, white female. I’m not poor and I’m not an immigrant. To be honest, my life isn’t that hard. Yes, I’ve struggled with my own demons but I’m very much aware that I am in no way a minority. When Trump was elected, I wasn’t as surprised as I should’ve been. Racism has become the “he who must not be named”. I guess if it’s not talked about or acknowledged, it somehow doesn’t exist. But it does exist and it’s not going to go away if we ignore it. Neither will homophobia, transphobia, islamophobia, xenophobia, and all the other phobias that plague the ignorant people of this nation.

One issue I have with Trump is that he is blatantly disrespectful to basically everyone except wealthy white men like himself. It’s like you can’t win if you’re a woman, an immigrant, disabled, black, Muslim, LBGTQ, or living in poverty. I’m proud to be American but what good is being the land of the free if minorities are ostracized and don’t have access to the opportunities that the rest of the U.S. has. I would say it’s un-American but America has a long record of segregating, deporting, incarcerating, and attacking its people. That brings me to the next point on my liberal agenda.

On January 7th 2017, President Trump wrote an executive order stopping all traffic from 7 countries in the Middle East. These 7 countries are predominantly Muslim. Trump’s explanation was that he wanted to stop terrorists from coming into the United States. The fact is the percentage of terror attacks on U.S. land is almost completely domestic so Trump’s executive order is obviously a Muslim ban.  Luckily after a few days, a federal judge stopped the order. Something that people need to realize is that Islam is not a violent religion. Terrorism does not have a religion, so to say all Muslims are terrorists doesn’t make much sense. You also can’t judge a whole group of people based off of what some might have done. The Klu Klux Klan is made up of white Christians but you don’t hear Trump calling for Christians to register themselves.

To the ones who are losing hope:

All we can do to combat the hatred in this country is to fight it with love. If we start to build a nation of hate, there is no hope for our generation and future ones to pick up the pieces after Trump’s presidency. I believe that we can survive this if we spread the love and stay strong through this difficult time. Trump is extremely misguided if he thinks we’re going to just lie down and let him destroy our home.

Chloe Lanham is a Communication Studies major with a concentration in Public Advocacy and a minor in Journalism at UNC Charlotte. She has three cats and a yearning to serve under-represented peoples. Lanham has written for the ECU newspaper and the ECU chapter of Her Campus.