This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

I have danced for 15 years, I was in a dance company for 8 of those. Only 3 years of my life has been spent not at a dance studio, and that’s because I didn’t even know how to walk yet. It has been probably one of the biggest parts of my life, yet here I am going on month 4 without dancing. So, here goes nothing

Dear Dance,

I love you with my entire soul. Thank you for letting me get through the hardest times of my life in a healthy way. The physical release of dancing out a heartbreak is a feeling I have yet to recreate. Thank you for letting me express myself when I don’t know what to say. Sometimes words just aren’t enough to express all these amazingly confusing emotions life makes us feel. Thank you for giving me a group of people who I think of as my family. Some of my very best friendships were formed through looks in the mirror at the endless “one more time full out” statements, waiting around in break rooms for our next class, and late night drives back from rehearsals ranting about how sore we are. Thank you for teaching me how to be dedicated, how to be focused, and how to actually show up on time.

Having to give you up, or at least not have 3 hours of rehearsal everyday, has been something I am still trying to adjust to. Some of its nice, like eating dinner at a normal time and knowing my Thursdays are actually free. Knowing that the first weekend in June will not consist of 8 shows is nice in a way, but also so painful. I respect, cherish, and love all the girls in my dance company with my entire heart and I’m so excited to go and actually be able to watch their shows, but oh will it be weird not to be on that stage.

Words of advice for those who is in their last year of this sport/art/whatever you want to call it:

Show up early to class, take lots of pictures, get someone to record you doing the random combinations before recital planning starts. Go to the extra outings, even if you think you won’t like it. Cherish EVERY improv, every time you get a studio to yourself, and every time you get to teach. You will miss it more than you know.

SDC, I love you always

Rachel

Hi! I'm Rachel, a freshman intended nursing major at ECU! Am I the most elequent speaker? Not really. Do I have my life together at all times? Aboslutely not. But in my 18 years on this planet, I have figured out a couple things. Hopefully I can make your day a little bit brighter after reading my stuff!