“If You Are Broken, You Do Not Have to Stay Broken”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Selena Gomez’s AMA Acceptance Speech is SO Important

“In 2014 this stage was actually the first time that I was authentically, 100 percent honest with all of you. I think it’s safe to say that all of you know my life whether I like it or not. I had to stop because I had everything and I was absolutely broken inside. I kept it all together enough to where I would never let you down but I kept it too much together to where I let myself down. I don’t want to see your bodies on Instagram. I want to see what’s in here [holds chest]. I’m not trying to get validation nor do I need it anymore. All I can say from the bottom of my heart is I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to be able to share what I love every single day with people that I love. I have to say thank you so much to my fans because you guys are so damn loyal and I don’t know what I did to deserve you. If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken. If that’s anything whether you respect me or not that’s one thing you should know about me. I care about people. Thank you so much for this. This is for you.”

On Sunday, Selena made this acceptance speech at the 2016 American Music Awards after winning “Favorite Female Artist-Pop/Rock”.  This was one of the first times she’s made a public appearance since she had informed her fans that she would be taking a break from the music industry and lifestyle.  This decision also resulted in the cancellation of her Revival Tour.  This decision stemmed from her anxiety, depression, and her ongoing battle with Lupus, an autoimmune disease.  This means that her immune system creates something called autoantibodies, which attack and destroy healthy tissue, causing her pain, swelling, and damage to different areas of her body.  

This may be just a quote to some people, but it stood out to me.  For someone like myself who has struggled with anxiety, depression, and self acceptance, what Selena had to say is so important, and something that anyone who has ever struggled needs to be made aware of.

If you are broken you do not have to stay broken.

As a college student, I’ve seen many people struggle with eating disorders and depression/anxiety and not get help.  Half of the time, from the outside, you don’t even know someone is struggling.  Around 44% of American college students report having symptoms of depression, and about 75% percent of college students said that they don’t seek help or reach out to anyone when they are experiencing mental health issues.  With that being said, suicide is the third leading cause of death among college students, and younger people diagnosed with depression are five times more likely to attempt suicide than adults due to high levels of stress that college and being a young adult can add onto ones life. 

So why do the ones struggling act as if it is something they can handle on their own?  Why is this not something we don’t address on a more normal basis?

I believe it’s something that needs to be addressed more if you are someone who struggles with anxiety, depression, or self hate and I commend Selena for being an advocate for that.  She shares her story so that maybe she can get across to someone else struggling with these problems. 

You do not have to stay broken, and that starts with being honest with yourself, reaching out to someone you trust, and doing things that make yourself happy above all else.  Selena is walking away from something she loves because it’s no longer making her happy, and happiness is much more important. 

You go Selena; I hope you find yourself and you happiness during your break from the music industry. 

New Jersey raised, North Carolina crazed Oh, and I like Chipotle